What do you pro street guys do for insurance? - Team Camaro Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 10, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Greg

What do you pro street guys do for insurance?

I called my insurance broker today who uses Hagerty. One of the first questions asked was, "is it modified? More specifically has the horsepower been increased, chassis mods and/or custom paint?" I told them that the horsepower has not been increased, but that it does have custom paint. The car is actually a tubbed 468BBC 68 Camaro that is getting custom paint as we speak.

The same coverage is nearly double that of a "non-modified" 68 Camaro. WTF? It was about $550/Year for the car as it sits with an agreed value of $26k.

What do you guys have?

1968 Prostreet Camaro - 540ci Big M, Dart Heads, 200-4R, narrowed 9"

2002 Hayabusa - 1464cc Muzzy's Big Block, low and slow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 10, 03:16 AM
Senior Tech
Chad

Re: What do you pro street guys do for insurance?

I am using Hagerty directly. Since my car was not a typical classic car they just wanted extra pictures and to manually review the policy. They said they couldn't cover cars with nitrous but I don't have it anyway. I pay $576/year with an agree value of $35k. Yes I think that it is fairly steep but not sure what other options there could be.

I have a 496BBC, tubbed, cage, etc.

1969 Camaro SS X66
496 BBC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 10, 03:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

most insurance companies wont cover your car if they think its a race car or on the track? thats what nationwide told me..
speciality ins. co's are picky but home ins co's dont car about being modified as long as it isnt a race car on the tracks?

BILL D.
JOHN 3:16
SEMPER FI
if you have a bbc in your 1st gen 67-69 camaro click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post yours up!!

if you have an all original 1st gen camaro 67-69 click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post your up!!

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 10, 03:52 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

I use State Farm but am told not to.I had my car appraised and have a agreed value on my car of 65K but need to check in with then every couple years to show that the car is still show quality.I have been told by many TC members that they will rob me.I went over and over with my ins. co. and showed them what was said by TC and the insured me that it would be an agreed value.I just hope I never need to use it to find out.

PRO.ST69orange

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 10, 04:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

you cant go wrong with a professional appraisal on your car ..
that is the value of your car..period!!
my 67 chevelle i had was appraised for 35k, i got creamed, total loss, they paid me 35k plus 15% investment fee(full coverage 280.00 per 6 months)..classic cars are an investment they dont loose value..

BILL D.
JOHN 3:16
SEMPER FI
if you have a bbc in your 1st gen 67-69 camaro click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post yours up!!

if you have an all original 1st gen camaro 67-69 click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post your up!!

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 10, 04:11 AM
Senior Tech

i use grundy on my 50 pro street truck 400 small block 200.00 a year 26000 on it. my 67 camaro big block 225.00 a year35000 on it
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 10, 04:51 AM
Senior Tech
David

Insured with Classic Automobile Insurance Co. Appraisal & photo's of the Camaro required. Agreed value of 50K for $485 a year.

David F.
www.firstgens.com

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 10, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony hisle View Post
i use grundy on my 50 pro street truck 400 small block 200.00 a year 26000 on it. my 67 camaro big block 225.00 a year35000 on it
I better call Grundy!

1968 Prostreet Camaro - 540ci Big M, Dart Heads, 200-4R, narrowed 9"

2002 Hayabusa - 1464cc Muzzy's Big Block, low and slow
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 10, 08:13 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

I use Heacock (heacockclassic.com). When I was looking into this, I remember looking at several companies, and only Heacock had a policy with rules that made sense and worked for my car. In my case, the HP, wheel tubs, and rollbar were the main problem with most of these companies, plus the way I wanted to use the car (drive it whenever I wanted to). Their prices were not that bad either and you just have to agree upon a value.

My .02

-Kevin

'68 RS Camaro, 454 SBC
'69 Camaro, body only
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 10, 08:16 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

Hagerty, let me them know a ton of modifications (complete pro-touring rebuild) and got coverage for 75k for 1k a year, but that is in Southern California few areas are more expensive insurance wise.

Ed

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 10, 12:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I have Haggerty. It is modified insurance, prostreet, rollbar, blower motor. I pay $803.00 a year / 50K value / replacement.

I just got a quote from Grundy for modified insurance 60K for $409.00 a year. I am fixing to send them the paper work and pictures to see if they will insure it for that.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 10, 08:40 PM
Senior Tech
Vall

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony hisle View Post
Grundy quoted me $310 a year for $25k agreed price on my big block '71 Camaro. Wonder how they got to that figure?

1971 SS427 Camaro. 2nd owner since 1973!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 10, 03:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
Grundy quoted me $310 a year for $25k agreed price on my big block '71 Camaro. Wonder how they got to that figure?
If you think it should be more you can up it but you will pay a higher premium.

PRO.ST69orange

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 10, 05:41 PM
Senior Tech
Jude

Call MK at 1 866 695 2774 for a quote. They are sponsors on Yenko.net and have excellent (agreed to) prices. You can read what syc members say about 'em on that site... they have their own thread over there and I've used them for several yrs
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 10, 09:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I just got Grundy for 421.00 / 60k coverage a year

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in