cutting hood for blower - Team Camaro Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 10, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jon

cutting hood for blower

How did you guys cut the hood for your roots style supercharger. Is it something that I can do at home? Any suggestions?...Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 10, 07:26 AM
Senior Tech
Russ

Re: cutting hood for blower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jons69chevy View Post
How did you guys cut the hood for your roots style supercharger. Is it something that I can do at home? Any suggestions?...Jon
I used a 4" cut-off wheel on an air powered tool. If you have it available, I'd make a trial run on a junker hood.

My hole is more cut for the shape of the scoop (and carb linkage rod) than the blower. I "think" I could shut my 2" cowl hood completely (or close to it), if it was only the blower on top the engine. Once the carbs and scoop go on it sticks through. With no carbs or scoop, I'm guessing the closest contact point is out on the front pulley and belt where the cowl hood begins to have a downward radius with the shape of the car.

I'd measure 3 or 4 times, double-check again, make a template out of cardboard, trace it onto the hood, and go from there. I had two reference points when I started. One, the center line of the hood (obvious). The other I measured from the firewall forward to the point where the opening would be begin. I based all my measurements off those points. Keep in mind that the opening changes in reference to the protrusion as the hood is lifted if you're keeping the normal hinge style of opening. Usually need to keep a little extra clearance on the front side at closed position to compensate for the opening of the hood.

Nothing to it really, but definitely is easier to cut up a hood that doesn't matter to begin with if you have that option.

with only blower, would probably close with no hole. Carbs and scoop determine hole on mine.

hole only, after paint.

side shot showing what actually comes through the hood.

different angle.

Blown 69 RS Camaro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

383 Small Block
Dyno: 578 Horse - 595 LB/Torque

Last edited by Blown69RS; Apr 7th, 10 at 07:42 AM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 10, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jon

so did you roll the edge of the hole or is it just a clean cut. I have a cutoff wheel and I havent painted the hood yet. Just a little nervous about cutting up a hood.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 10, 07:51 AM
Senior Tech
Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jons69chevy View Post
so did you roll the edge of the hole or is it just a clean cut. I have a cutoff wheel and I havent painted the hood yet. Just a little nervous about cutting up a hood.
mine is a clean cut. If I were to do it over, I think I'd weld a small diameter rod around the edge of the opening just for appearance sake. Something like a 1/16th steel rod or even a stick of welding rod, and then bodywork it for a smooth transition.

There's always the option of some decent appearing edge molding applied to the hole also. If you were to do that, I think it's easier to have your corners shaped more of a rounded cut than a hard 90 degree square corner. The molding can be applied and shaped better to a sweeping curve than to a hard 90 degree corner. The guys I've seen with the corner cuts and molding ended up mitering them together. If the corners had been rounded, they could have made the turn with the molding without having the cut/miter lines.

Kinda depends on what you're final goal is. If you're doing it on a drag only car, who cares, you only need function.

If you want a nice looking driver that does weekend car shows, I think I'm content with my straight cut off.

If you want a trailer queen that has a "perfect" appearance, I'd do the welding of a nice rounded rod stock, and bodywork the heck out of it for that factory finished look.

Blown 69 RS Camaro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

383 Small Block
Dyno: 578 Horse - 595 LB/Torque
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 10, 09:52 PM
Senior Tech
Jerry

I opted for a fiberglass 4" cowl hood, and, with a 32 pitch upper pulley, the belt and upper pulley are inside the hood (big block Chevy). I cut the hole smaller than most I've seen, but I do have to remove the scoop to open the hood (no big deal). I just thought it would look a little cleaner.

Here is how I cut my hood:

With the hood off of the car, I simply used string and painter's tape to mark the location of the blower in relation to the fenders, cowl, and front valance.
First, tape the string on the cowl and then to the front valance along one side of the blower, taking into consideration any linkage, fuel lines, etc. Repeat on the other side. Second, tape the string on the fenders, one to run behind the blower, and one in front, across the engine compartment. This will give you the outline and location of the hole. Measure the distance from the corners where the valance and fender meet to each of the contact points of the string. Take into consideration that there will be a gap between the hood and the body panels. Do the same with the cowl/fender corners. Measure the same distances on your hood, and tape the string across the hood from those reference points. You should end up with a rectangle in the center of the hood. Measure AT LEAST twice to ensure the reference points are equidistant from the corners of the hood. If you need to cut for clearance for the front pulley/belt, you will have a reference point by the position of the rectangle. Use a straightedge and a sharpie to outline the hole. I used a small ( one inch diameter i think) hole saw on a drill to cut the corners, then a dremel cutting wheel to cut from corner to corner.

There may be an easier way, but this worked for me. Hope it helps, and good luck!

Jerry

67 RS coupe, Black
68 Pro street Torch Red, blown 427
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 10, 08:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I took a big piece of cardboard and cut it the outline of the hood. I also made the scoop match my hood. It is a 4" fiberglass hood. Then I cut a hole out of the center of the cardboard. I laid the cardboard on the car and started adding cardboard around the opening. Then I had 2 friends hold the edge of the back by the fenders and lifted it like the hood to see if it hit anything. I keep adding to all 4 sides till I had about a 1/2" clearance on all sides. I used spray can to make my curved edges.

I cut mine with my hood painted. I then added masking tape to the top and bottom of my hood, then laid the cardboard on top of the hood and transfered the lines to my hood.

Then just look at the hood and make sure your lines are straight before cutting .

My hood does open with the scoop on just like you see it. If you ever have a problem under the hood and have to take the scoop off before you can raise the hood,,then you might have big problems.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

Last edited by prostreet69camaro; Apr 20th, 10 at 12:30 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 10, 09:32 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Ditto on the cut off wheel. Cut slow, keep the heat down. Keep your corners rounded with a small radius. The edge came out clean and the top surface is straight. Impressive to see when it's just sheet metal. I don't attempt body work- a smart man knows his limitations. My buddy used a beat up dummy hood for measuring and the template and then bit the bullet and cut my good one. Sorry the photos are pretty old:

You can put small rubber pads between the sheet metal and supports to avoid rattles. My hood won't open all the way with the scoop on but enough to show the dazzle. I have a rubber bumper on the back of the scoop as a stop. I have to remove the scoop to work on it as I suppose others do with a blower and scoop. Remember, the hood swings forward a bit as it opens so keep a little tolerance at the back.

Also a member of
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 10, 02:47 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

I used string and tape to lay out the opening. With the hood off the car, then you can take measurements and transfer them to the hood. Hard to explain in typing but, it was fairly sinple and took all the guess work out. I knew the hood would fit before ever putting it on.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 10, 03:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Just be careful, I cut a hood for for a buddy, in 77, 289 Gremblin with a 289, Ford tunnel ram. Measured out great, ran the jig saw thru, felt a little strange across the back side,
cut the windshield wiper motor top off, we drank another beer and laughed. Fixed it later.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 10, 01:11 PM
Tech Team

Definately a cut off wheel i actually took my hood off and created a template of my hood out of cardboard and cut out exactly what i needed then transfered it to the hood and cut out what i needed also i did a lip on mine i actually left a 1/4 inch around the edge then cut on the corners and bent the edges in then welded the corners back ..it was definaltely worth it youll never have to worry about paint chipping in the edges
or even cutting your hand while washing it
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 10, 01:12 PM
Tech Team

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 10, 01:14 PM
Tech Team

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 10, 01:22 PM
Tech Team

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode