pissed off - Team Camaro Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 10, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Freddie

pissed off

I've been working on my Camaro on and off from the second week of December. I removed the leaf springs and housing floaters and installed a set of coil over shocks and built a new rear end housing. I also had to remove the floor from the trunk and cut out the old shock cross member and build a new one. Something went wrong with the measurements and when I got the rear end back in the car it was too far forward, so I had to build a new set of ladder bars that were a little longer. Now I have everything painted and in the car. I took it for a test drive Tuesday and when I got back the rear end was shifted to the left and the right tire was rubbing the frame. I used a track locator, or diaginal link, whatever you want to call it. I was too pissed off to raise the car up and see what went wrong, but I think the front bracket bent.

What do you guys use to keep the rear end centered in your car?

'69 RS/SS396 pro street/427/4spd/9"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 10, 07:43 AM
Senior Tech
Matt

Send a message via AIM to Blade
Re: pissed off

I have ladders bars and track bar.

Got to give the PEOPLE what they want!

Look....if you wanna be the best then you gotta take out the best!

1967 Prostreet Camaro
BB 431 650hp
400 Turbo Trans
Ford 9" 4:56 gears

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 10, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Freddie

What size is the track bar and what are the brackets made of?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 10, 10:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I use a panhard bar. I got it from Art Morrision Enterprise. Some people dont like them but I havn't had any problems.

But I did my back half 17 years ago.

The reason I went with the panhard bar is because I wanted my 3" exhaust out the back of the car and a track locater was in the way. They say a panhard bar is suppose to be a certain length but mine is only about 16 inches long. My exhaust goes under my rearend.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 10, 11:25 AM
Senior Tech
Matt

Send a message via AIM to Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by big gear head View Post
What size is the track bar and what are the brackets made of?
I ordered all my stuff from s&w.

Got to give the PEOPLE what they want!

Look....if you wanna be the best then you gotta take out the best!

1967 Prostreet Camaro
BB 431 650hp
400 Turbo Trans
Ford 9" 4:56 gears

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 10, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Freddie

I made all of my parts including the track bar. I made the bar from 7/8 DOM and used 5/8 heim joints. I think one of the brackets bent and allowd the rear end to move. I made the brackets from 3/16 steel, but that might not have been enough.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 10, 12:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by big gear head View Post
I made all of my parts including the track bar. I made the bar from 7/8 DOM and used 5/8 heim joints. I think one of the brackets bent and allowd the rear end to move. I made the brackets from 3/16 steel, but that might not have been enough.

You might have to make them out of 1/4" steel.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 10, 02:30 PM
Senior Tech
Timothy

Dont be pissed working on 1st gen Camaros is fun!

My 69 RS/SS 396 Project -

"I may be dumb but I aint stupid"
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 10, 02:48 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

Double check to make sure it actually bent, chances are it rotated up and the heim joint is maxed out. My car is a 4-link car so, it's a little different but, I use a track bar as well. Mine is only about 5/8", I plan to go to a larger bar once the car is getting driven regularly.

By the way that's a great looking car!

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 10, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Freddie

I might get under it tomorrow and see what happened. I haven't been in the mood to mess with it. I'm getting my boat fixed up and going fishing. Hope it doesn't sink while I'm out there.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 10, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Freddie

Well I found out why the rear end shifted to the left. This is real imbarrassing. I made a pinion angle adjustment and didn't think to readjust the track bar. I made the lower bar on the ladder bars longer, which made the track bar too short, which moved the rear end to the left. I felt real stupid when I figured this out, but I was happy that nothing actually bent or broke. I also found the squeek. The bearings in the top of the shocks froze up, so I'm going to have to replace them. There is no way to lube them that I can see. I still haven't figured out what the vibration is. I'm pulling the Detroit Locker out and I'm going to test a new Duragrip differential and see how it works out.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 10, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Freddie

I think I found the vibration. I've got .020 runout on the left axle flange and the concentricity is out .015. The right axle is out too, but not as much as the left axle. I'm also having the wheels and tires checked today to see if there are any problems with them. I had a friend follow me and at about 50 to 60 MPH the left tire was bouncing. The right tire was doing it too, but not as much as the left. I tried making changes to the dampening on the shocks, but that didn't help. That's when I decided to check the tires and axles. I don't think the squeek was coming from the shock bearings. I think it was the brake pads on the left side.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 10, 10:33 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

Well that's good news. It stinks that it will cost money, but worth it just knowing what the cause of the problem was.

So are you ordering new axles or having those repaired/straightend? I assume they are aftermarket axles, How do you think the damage occured?

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 10, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Freddie

I'm sending the axles in to be checked. They might be able to fix them. I have no idea how they got in this condition. They have been in the car for more than 15 years, but the car has never been wrecked or hit. I drive it hard when it's running, but I don't know if that could cause it or not. I had some wheel hop issues with the old suspension, so that might have caused it. I broke a 31 spline Ford axle because of wheel hop.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 10, 01:17 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

Wheel hop is nasty and will tear things up. With tires that big it wouldn't surprise me if that's what caused the damage. Let us know what they find.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode