Pro street or not - Team Camaro Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 10, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Brian

Pro street or not

Hello,
About 2 years ago I bought a prostreet x-77 z/28 Camaro in Michigan off of ebay. I paid roughly 22k for it. It was prostreeted in the late 80's when doing things like we do now was not done. It is ok for a runner but not for me. It had a 454, turbo 400, with a 9in. And came with alot of extra parts. I bought it with the intention of just making it alittle more streetable. I always wanted a pro street car. And I always wanted a real Z, be it a number matching car or not, didnt matter to me just as long as its a Z. I have owned a plain jane 69, and a 71 RS Camaro before, but I sold them both during my marriage( I know bad idea), and Im not married to her anymore,(good idea). I was in the process of fixing the things wrong with it when in May 08 I got hit by a 88 yr old man on my Harley. It nearly took of my right leg. So I was laid up for some time.

My idea was to now completely redo the car. I have sold about 15,000 worth of stuff of the car. So the decent real Z shell cost me about 7 grand, not bad for what I see them going for now. I have completely stripped the car. All the paint is off. The front end is perfect, nearly no bondo. The quarters were done but with the half ones. The rockers have several patch panels and wave more than a model at a show. The tail panel on the passenger side has alot of bondo in it. And the driver side cowl tulip is smashed pretty good. The floors well they cut them up to right behind the seat platforms. I have taken all the paint off so its down to bare metal.

I have taken the car to several places for estimates on getting the rear frame redone. I wanted a 2x4 frame put in so I can get rid of the rollbar. My legs have actually both been broken, one on my motorcycle in May 08(right leg) and my left leg in Nov 04 racing my four wheeler. So climbing in and out of car with a rollbar is a real pain. So I wanted the floor redone, new firewall, new frame rails, tubs just the underside. I have all the parts and the estimates were 15-20k. I about had a heart attack. So I have decided to try this myself. I read alot of the build threads on here and I am amazed of the skill of my fellow team Camaro people. I have some skills,I have built several cars, trucks and bikes just nothing to this level.

Now my question is should I keep the prostreet look or go pro touring? I cold get a full floor pan and do away with all that, or go back to the prostreet look. My car had stock wheel well openings and I like it that way. And I wanna drive this car alot. I was only planning on running 29x18x15 tires on the rear. And I think the biggest pro touring tires are close to that? My motor is a LS7 and a T56 6 spd. I have all of the stuff for the motor and trans.

I plan on building the jig and go from there. So I will be asking alot of questions. I will post some pics of my car. So what would be better and easier,I know it wont be easy, but you know what I mean. Thanks for reading my thread. Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7a37_3.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	17793  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 10, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Brian

Re: Pro street or not

This is my truck I built
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 10, 11:21 AM
Senior Tech
Tristan

Send a message via AIM to Mav68erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prostreet69Z View Post
This is my truck I built

nothing ^^

protouring tires are like 13.1 - 13.5 for the tighter fit,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
68 Camaro

I Hate Spotwelds

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 10, 11:26 AM
Senior Tech
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prostreet69Z View Post
This is my truck I built
Nice truck. I say do what you want.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 10, 01:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

You put this in prostreet section and everyone here that has a prostreet will say prostreet it.

So I say prostreet it.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 10, 01:54 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

Send a message via Yahoo to cluxford

Prostreet it. No question.

In Oz where I am building mine, I could never ever get a full prostreet car registered. So I have had to make some compromises that makes my car somewhat a mix of PT and PS.

If you can go full PS, I say do it.

But it's your car so do what makes you happy.

I know so many people frown upon PS cars,I had one guy call my car tacky cause it's going to be tunnel rammed and have ghost flames....

But guess what, every time I look at my car I get a massive smile on my face, it's what I have always wanted and I could care less what others think....so build the car you have always wanted, not what the trendy people believe is popular right now...
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 10, 02:03 PM
Senior Tech
Tristan

Send a message via AIM to Mav68erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluxford View Post
Prostreet it. No question.

In Oz where I am building mine, I could never ever get a full prostreet car registered. So I have had to make some compromises that makes my car somewhat a mix of PT and PS.

If you can go full PS, I say do it.

But it's your car so do what makes you happy.

I know so many people frown upon PS cars,I had one guy call my car tacky cause it's going to be tunnel rammed and have ghost flames....

But guess what, every time I look at my car I get a massive smile on my face, it's what I have always wanted and I could care less what others think....so build the car you have always wanted, not what the trendy people believe is popular right now...
Ya your cars tacky, and what does he drive? a Toyota Prius?

68 Camaro

I Hate Spotwelds
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 10, 02:25 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluxford View Post

That just about sums it up right there. That's what it's all about.

Build it the way you want it. If it was a cream puff original I personally wouldn't make a pro street out of it, but since it's already cut up, I say go for it. If you don't build what you really want you will never be happy with the car.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 10, 05:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

It will be easier to rebuild it as a Pro-Street and more cost effectiveyou can geta back half that is jig welded and install it your self.I would look at the Chris Alston four link with urithane heim ends.You will not need to build a jig if done this way.I did build some tall jack stands when I built my car I am 6'-5" 300lb and cant crawl around on store bought jack stands.I also did drop door bars because I have a hard time getting in as well.

This back half is from Checkered Racing....

PRO.ST69orange

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 10, 08:02 PM
Senior Tech
Frank

Well, interesting subject since we build tons of Pro Touring cars I am most likely bias.

Pro Touring is hot, real hot and very functional. I just got back from Run Thru The Hills and there we had 70 Pro Touring cars that did a 100 mile cruise Friday through "The dragon" (a famous winding mountain road), then autocrossed on Saturday and drag raced and Speed Stop challenged on Sunday.

Long story short, most of the cars were driven there. I had (6) cars we built there, (4) of which were driven 300, 400, 670 and 670 miles respectivly one way and back home after be raced and run to death! A Pro Street car will never do that.

WITH THAT SAID, I am in the process of updating my Street Racer (Street / drag car) that I have had for 14 years. Not a "Pro Street" because I only run 14" wide tires in mini tubs, but a wicked fast street car none the less. I thought about converting it to a Pro Touring car and could not do it. But I am making it more civilized adding A/C, wicked cooling system, sound system, quiter exhaust, and adding more nitrous to make up for the added weight.

But I have more then one car, I have Pro Touring cars.

If I was building one car...........I would build one I could do everything with. I would build a Pro Touring car. But I would miss my street drag car badly!

As for backhalfing your car back to something that will do everything? Art Morrison has a rear Clip, Triangle 4 link that fits a factory floor. With that kit and a repro full trunk pan, the entire thing could be converted back in a couple weeks labor or so.

The triangle 4 link will handle and drag race well. Add some front subframe mods and you have the makings of a well rounded car that does it all.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 10, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Brian

Thanks for the replies. I dont know why my trucks pic didnt show up. I will get it up, so you can see. I built it in the driveway in the middle of winter.

My car originally had ladder bars under it, so am I going to have to change that all over for a better ride? I dont plan on ever drag racing my car. I want to go on the power tour once its done.

I think I may of understated the state of my legs. I have over 50 screws and 3 12 inch plates holding them together. They took a muscle from my stomach and put it on my knee. I can only bend them half of a normal person. You would never know it when I wear pants but in a pair of shorts, I get more attention than you can imagine.

I really wanna keep it pro street,one cause everyone is doing pro touring, and two when done right they look really good. I dont wanna go the prostreet extreme edge, I want a drivable car.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 10, 03:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Just make you a nice prostreet car. Put a ZZ502 and overdrive trans in it and Vintage air. Then you have a nice driver. JMO

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 10, 04:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

Price every thing up and go from that with my budgit I could not afford the real expensive components.This may be a big part of your decission.

If your in the condition you say your in it may be very hard to get under the car to weld and fabricate so this may be part of your decision as well.Good luck the picture I posted was to show the jack stands I built they were about 3 feet tall.

I made and extension for one of my floor jacks to get it up that high.It was fine putting it up because it needed all the body work done at that point but when I was finished it was scary getting it down.

Frank is the man when it comes to this kind of thing he has built a ton of cars I just have about 5 under my belt.He is doing one now that can be changed from a three link to a four link not sure of the cost of this one but it is nice.

PRO.ST69orange

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 10, 04:51 AM
Senior Tech
David

Your Camaro can be built/rebuilt without the rollbar...I've seen several Pro Street vehicles without them. It would be a good idea to add some additional reinforcement to the 2"x4" rear subframe for added structural rigidity.

David F.
www.firstgens.com

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 10, 04:54 AM
Senior Tech
Frank

If your not going to drag race you DO NOT want the ladder bars. You can do a "modern Pro Street" which would have some good front suspension and decent size front tires on it also so it would drive good and still have the monsters out back. Use a good differential like a Tru Track so those big tires don't push real bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode