How does Your PS Ride? - Team Camaro Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 11, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Royce

How does Your PS Ride?

I just thought I would as a question to get some life back into this section. How is the ride quality in your PS car? I know it's not all about ride quality.

One of the reasons I ask is people are always shocked when they ride in my car (even though it's not a true Pro Street). It rides very nice, not harsh at all.

Maybe you can tell us how your car rides and what you have for suspension/shocks, etc.. This may help others that want to improve ride quality or are having issues.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 11, 12:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Re: How does Your PS Ride?

Mine rides pretty good for a ladder bar car. It is the cheap Art Morrision prostreet setup from way back 15 years ago. I used there polyerethane bushings on the ladder bar and panhard bar.

Back when I was having problems with the SR radial tires I replaced the rod ends to all steel. This made it a little rougher and noisier riding.

I might go back to the poly bushings since I have a set but I ended up spending about 400.00 on the steel rod ends.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 11, 08:01 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

I would like to ride in a few to see and hear the difference.I did a ton of sound deadening it is fairly quiet I do hear shock squish over bumps and a little heim end noise.I want new tires and wheels some thing other than MT Pros.Will see what this does....

PRO.ST69orange

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 11, 01:37 PM
Senior Tech
David

My Camaro has Competition Engineering Ladder-Links and non adjustable coil over springs with a basic Monroe-Matic gas shock. The ride is not luxury car quality but it certainly isn't like an 1880's buckboard wagon either..........One thing that I believe contributes to ride quality is the quality of the road surface that you are driving on at that given time. I have some roads where I live that are like driving on ice even when the pavement is bone dry and then there are roads here that are as smooth as can be and the ride quality is very good !!!!

David F.

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 11, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Royce

My car is a 4-link, weighs 3350lbs, has double adjustable coil overs on all 4 corners. The front shocks are QA1 the rears are AFCO. No harsh ride at all, I have all heim joints on the links and I can't hear any noises. I do hear the locker every once in a while, but even it is quiet compared to other lockers I have owned.

I am on drag radials in the rear and M/T sportmans in the front. The car handles well soaks up the bumps and rough road pretty good.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 11, 12:55 PM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroman7d View Post
My car is a 4-link, weighs 3350lbs, has double adjustable coil overs on all 4 corners. The front shocks are QA1 the rears are AFCO. No harsh ride at all, I have all heim joints on the links and I can't hear any noises. I do hear the locker every once in a while, but even it is quiet compared to other lockers I have owned.

I am on drag radials in the rear and M/T sportmans in the front. The car handles well soaks up the bumps and rough road pretty good.
Royce, I've always been told not to mismatch radials with bias ply tires such as the M/T Sportsmans(which I also have on the front of my Camaro). Is it the adjustable coil overs on all four corners of your Buick that negates any ill handling caused by running the two dissimilar types of tires??? What's your thoughts???

David F.

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 11, 12:59 PM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet69camaro View Post
Mine rides pretty good for a ladder bar car. It is the cheap Art Morrision prostreet setup from way back 15 years ago. I used there polyerethane bushings on the ladder bar and panhard bar.

Back when I was having problems with the SR radial tires I replaced the rod ends to all steel. This made it a little rougher and noisier riding.

I might go back to the poly bushings since I have a set but I ended up spending about 400.00 on the steel rod ends.
Mike, same question for you....were you running bias ply tires on the front while running the M/T SR radial on the back???

David F.

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 11, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Royce

All four of my tires are radials. The front are Sportsman radials (S/R).

As far as miss matching tire types, heres the deal. Radials roll wih less resistance than bias ply tires. this is why every passenger car and truck sold over the past 30 or so years comes with radials. Less roliing resistance means better mileage. So the issue "can" be when miss matching is that let's say you have bias on the front and radials on the rear, the rear tires will want to pass the front tires, since they roll "better". When you have this situation the car will fell "loose". Now in 99% of drag or street strip cars the situation is just the opposite, they have radials up front and bias slicks or street/strip tires in the rear. You will not have any handling issues like that because the front tires will always be "out running" the rear.

If you are going to miss match make sure the radials are up front.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 11, 07:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

I was think of going with a taller rim and tire combo just for a different look what are your thoughts on this.What do you recomend on tire for say 18's....

PRO.ST69orange

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 11, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Royce

Once you go over 17" there really aren't any "drag" type tires. My personal opinion is Pro Streeters look best with 15" rims. I have seen some with 20's and 22" with low profile tires, it just doesn't look right to me.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 11, 08:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Quote:
Once you go over 17" there really aren't any "drag" type tires. My personal opinion is Pro Streeters look best with 15" rims. I have seen some with 20's and 22" with low profile tires, it just doesn't look right to me.
I was this way but the tall wheels on a pro-Street are starting to grow on me....

PRO.ST69orange

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 11, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Royce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Street69Camaro468 View Post
I was this way but the tall wheels on a pro-Street are starting to grow on me....

Dave if you like it, by all means it's your car go for it. As far as tires go you will be stuck with a shorter/stiffer sidewall radial tire. If you are going to go with the bigger wheels you may want to go all the way to the big guys thay way you will fill out your tubs and not have tires that are too short. What I mean is the diameter of your 15" tires is probably over 30" if you go to a 18" wheel and a tire that is only 24 - 26" tall your car will look funny. In order to fill up that space or have a tire that is still 30+" tall you might need a 24" wheel. All the "Pro Street" cars I have seen with big wheels had really big wheels for the same reason I was trying to explain above.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 12, 04:50 PM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Street69Camaro468 View Post
I was think of going with a taller rim and tire combo just for a different look what are your thoughts on this.What do you recomend on tire for say 18's....
Dave.....It's your car but I wouldn't change the rim diameter/tire height due to what Royce says below.........

Quote:
Dave if you like it, by all means it's your car go for it. As far as tires go you will be stuck with a shorter/stiffer sidewall radial tire. If you are going to go with the bigger wheels you may want to go all the way to the big guys thay way you will fill out your tubs and not have tires that are too short. What I mean is the diameter of your 15" tires is probably over 30" if you go to a 18" wheel and a tire that is only 24 - 26" tall your car will look funny. In order to fill up that space or have a tire that is still 30+" tall you might need a 24" wheel. All the "Pro Street" cars I have seen with big wheels had really big wheels for the same reason I was trying to explain above.
.....plus you might have difficulty selling those huge diameter rims if you decide you don't like the new look of the Camaro. Jmo though, do what you want.

David F.

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 12, 05:01 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

This is a buddy of mine I like his look....

PRO.ST69orange

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 12, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Royce

If you like the look go for it. The good thing is it's only a few lug nuts from being changed back if you decide. also expect our traction to be very limited, due to the stiff/short side walls.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode