Fuel filler to fuel cell drop ??? - Team Camaro Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 12, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mark

Fuel filler to fuel cell drop ???

I have an old plastic Harwood fuel cell I got whan I first stated my rebuild. The name Harwood tells you how long it's been ... LOL. I really don't trust the structural integrity of this cell after sitting around for almost 20 years. When we first started the project the fuel cell hung down below the body of the car. Not a big fan of this. So, I'd like to use a newer aluminum style fuel cell and raise it up so it doesn't hang very much if at all below the rear valance. But, I'd also like to use the stock filler location. So there may be an issue with the slope of the hose between the filler and the fuel cell. What is a "minimum" distance you really need to have between the filler opening and the top of the fuel cell so the fuel goes into the tank and not back up in the hose?? Hope this makes sense .... PS - these are VERY old pics . But you can see how this hangs down. Am I being a little over cautious in not wanting my tank to hang down this much??? I can get an alum that is basically the same size which is what I would really like to use. I don't like the plastic ones. Or should I just put it fully in the trunk and open the trunk to fill it ???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	54_17782685.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	28098   Click image for larger version

Name:	52_17782683.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	28099   Click image for larger version

Name:	65_17782702.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	28100  

67 'Bird vert 455 JW TH400 KRE d-port 310 cfm heads H-beam rods Comp Cam 305-AH-8 cam w/1.65 rockers Ford 9" 3.55 Detroit Locker M/T Radials 31x18x15 on Convo Pro 15x15s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 12, 09:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Re: Fuel filler to fuel cell drop ???

I have a 69. I dont see how you can make the filler neck work. I open the trunk to fill mine up. I also have mine raised up to the bottom of the frame rails. Then I have a piece of sheetmetal to protect the fuel cell across the frame rails. It is a 15 gal aluminum fuel cell.

I had the plastic harwood at first but it would slope in due to heat and looked like $hit.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 12, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mark

Nice setup. What's holding the cell in the car ??? I see no mounting straps.

67 'Bird vert 455 JW TH400 KRE d-port 310 cfm heads H-beam rods Comp Cam 305-AH-8 cam w/1.65 rockers Ford 9" 3.55 Detroit Locker M/T Radials 31x18x15 on Convo Pro 15x15s

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 12, 09:15 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Just wondering for my own info....but there are enough places out there now that make narrowed tanks that'll go in the stock location. Is there a requirement or reason for going to a fuel cell other than price?

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 12, 10:47 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

A gas tank will not fit under the car with the big tires.

The fuel cell has mounting tabs on the bottom outside of the tank. It sits on flat bar and the tabs are bolted to the flat bar.

Mike

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 12, 02:31 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

I have a plastic one also...only the sump sticks through the floor, and I open the trunk to fill like above....Only mine isn't at clean as the one above

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 12, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet69camaro View Post
I have a 69. I dont see how you can make the filler neck work. I open the trunk to fill mine up. I also have mine raised up to the bottom of the frame rails. Then I have a piece of sheetmetal to protect the fuel cell across the frame rails. It is a 15 gal aluminum fuel cell.

I had the plastic harwood at first but it would slope in due to heat and looked like $hit.

67/8s have the gas cap in the tail panel not the tag. Much easier to do.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 12, 12:44 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 455 Bird ragtop View Post
67/8s have the gas cap in the tail panel not the tag. Much easier to do.
It really depends on how far the fuel cell sits in the frame rail. If it is to high then the fill hose will go up. Have fun trying to put gas in it.

If the fuel cell sits to far down then it looks bad from the back of the car. You can not see the bottom of my fuel cell from the back of the car.

Mike

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 12, 05:25 PM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet69camaro View Post
It really depends on how far the fuel cell sits in the frame rail. If it is to high then the fill hose will go up. Have fun trying to put gas in it.

If the fuel cell sits to far down then it looks bad from the back of the car. You can not see the bottom of my fuel cell from the back of the car.
Same here. when I bought my Camaro the fuel cell sat too low between the frame rails and the first thing I did to the car was to move it up further into the trunk area........

David F.

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 12, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mark

That's my delima. You can see how low the original one sat. Not sure if I really want it hanging down that far. I have more room between the rails now,22.5" x 19.25", and an in tank fuel pump set up to use so I can put all of my fitings on top of the cell and inside the trunk either way I decide to mount it. Just having a hard time making up my mind. The cell will be made the same way regardless of how I mount it. I'll probably not make a decision until I have it in hand. Then I'll take 3-4 months to make up my mind ... LOL

But thanks for the feedback guys.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 12, 05:09 PM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 455 Bird ragtop View Post
...an in tank fuel pump set up to use so I can put all of my fittings on top of the cell and inside the trunk either way I decide to mount it.
. Are you referring to the fittings that are used as outlets to the fuel pump that are normally on the lowest portion of the fuel cell??? If so, I can't see how you would get fuel to flow to the carburetor with an outlet on the top of the cell even with an in tank fuel pump.

David F.

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 12, 07:40 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

I think he is refering to one like Aeromotive makes. Same basic idea as a stock newer car/truck in tank pump.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 12, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroman7d View Post
I think he is refering to one like Aeromotive makes. Same basic idea as a stock newer car/truck in tank pump.
Exactly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode