Master Cylinder/Brakes for ProStreet Car - Team Camaro Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 12, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ben

Master Cylinder/Brakes for ProStreet Car

Have been running Wilwood manual MC and dual piston calipers up front and 4 piston calipers in the rear. Running a manual adjustable prop. valve. 15x4 rims up front and 15x15 in the rear.

I am just not too happy with its stopping. What setup are you guys running and are you happy with it? Had been thinking of going power steering assisted MC or spending the bucks on an electric MC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 12, 10:44 AM
cad
Tech Team

Re: Master Cylinder/Brakes for ProStreet Car

I'm running the Strange small bore m/c with Baer disc/rear drum, and it stops decent.
Do you have the master cylinder pushrod in the upper hole on the brake pedal arm?
What size bore MC is it?

1968 Camaro
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 12, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ben

I believe the MC is 7/8" if memory is correct. Was installed few years ago. Not sure which hole its in, never looked..will ck when i get home today. Is the upper preferred?

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 12, 09:15 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

I'm also running the small bore (1.031) Strange M/C, part number B3360, with a single piston disc brake setup up front and a Strange rear drum setup and I have no issues.

I also have the pushrod in the top hole.

If you only have .875" bore, that might be your whole problem, you should think about going to a 1.125" bore.

69 Camaro, 496, 10.34 @ 134.77 mph.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 12, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ben

usually the larger bores are for power assisted so i am told by wildwood. thanks for reminding me about the pushrod as i forgot to look.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 12, 04:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

I have 4 piston wilwood on all four corners with 7/8" bore manual its an ok stop wouldn't want to have to stop to quickly but they are ok.I was told by wilwood the 7/8" was what was needed for manual.Do not use dot 5 fluid.

PRO.ST69orange

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 12, 10:24 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Hydraulic assist (hydroboost) works great, but I wonder how much extra stopping power you'd actually get with skinny front tires. If you can lock up your wheels now anything beyond that wouldn't help.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 12, 03:17 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

Actually, Strange recommends P/N B3360 (1.031) for a 4 piston rear/ 2 piston front brake setup. The larger Strange unit, P/N B3359 (1.125) is recommended for a 4 piston front and rear setup.

The B3360 was recommended to me by S&W Racecars when it came time for me to buy my setup.

Here is something that I found which is interesting. In this article this guy wrote:
"Smaller diameter master cylinders can be used to increase output pressure. The design allows the application of two master cylinders being applied at the same, thereby doubling the volume output. Because of this high pressure output, you will not need a vacuum booster."

So in theroy your setup should work fine.

I can tell you the first time I drove my car after I did the brake system, the brakes were "squishy" and then my wife helped me bleed the brakes again and there was a small amount of air still in the lines and now it works great.

Just so you know, here are my components: M/C Strange B3360, adjustable prop valve, 3/16" steel line up to the calipers/ drums, #3 braided line going into the calipers/ drums. I'm using DOT5 fluid and as I mentioned the pushrod is on the top hole on the brake pedal. Wheels are 15 x 14, and 15 x 3.5.

Good luck.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 12, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ben

Mine dont lock no matter how i adjust the proportioning valve. I stll havent looked at the hole on the pedal. Been working on replacing my braided fuel lines with Teflon inner braided lines. Cant stand the fumes in the garage anymore. Hope to be done tonight with that so will look at the pedal.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 12, 06:12 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

Hey your over on YB as well?

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 12, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ben

yeah!!
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 12, 06:30 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

Were you involved with the posting the other week about gas smell in the garage?

If not, it had a lot of good tips but the biggest one was capping your vent when your not using the car.

The one thing I found funny was, a guy suggested putting vanilla extract in a bottle and I think he mixed it with water and sprayed it in the air. They said the vanilla is a neutralizer and killed the smell.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 12, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ben

I tried the vent by putting a valve on it, but still didnt solve the problem, so then i tried running a hose to the outside from the vent and it didnt fix the problem either but helped a little. So, last night i took the 4 main braided lines off the car; tank to pump, pump to filter, filter to regulator, and regulator back to tank. Replacing them with braided with teflon inners. Hopefully that will do the trick. Plan to finish it up tonight. Pain in the a** doing this lying on your back.

Little gas smell wouldnt bother me, but it was really bad and with the summer heat and humidity here in Florida its just too much.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 12, 06:47 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

I hear you about the heat. It was bad last summer here in PA as well.

I had the same problem and I had to air out my house for days. Here I found out that raw fuel was lying inside my mufflers, so I took them off and sat them outside and the smell went away.

I kept mufflers on it to help keep peace with my neighbors, but since my neighbors can be somewhat of a pain, I decided to just run it with open headers.

Good luck with the new hose.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 12, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ben

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode