Battery hold down for drag race - Team Camaro Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 12, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Chuck

Battery hold down for drag race

Sorry if I am in the wrong forum with this.

I am in the process of getting the car ready for the strip, and I need a battery hold down. The battery is in the stock location. I have been told to use a flat steel bar with 3/8 inch threaded rod, but I am looking for something that will look better.
Will something like this be legal?

I am not sure if the bolts need to be 3/8 inch or if the rods on this will meet the requirement. I have looked at JEGS, and they seem to offer stuff similar to this one (like billet specialties). Any advice would be appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 12, 07:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael Gekko

Re: Battery hold down for drag race

Contact the tech official at your local track and see what he/she says. looks good to me.

1968 Camaro NHRA/IHRA SS/C 'Super Stocker' 396/Jerico
1968 Street/Strip Camaro 350 w/PG
1968 Caprice NHRA/IHRA Stock ELiminator O/SA 327-250 HP

Land of the Free Because of the Brave

It Takes a Long Time to Grow Old Friends
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 12, 08:52 PM
Senior Tech
Kev

"I am looking for something that will look better."

What race are you trying to win?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 12, 10:04 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

Race cars don't have to be ugly.

Is your battery reloacted? If it's in the stock position, you don't need anything fancy. If it is relocated take a look at the NHRA rule book.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 12, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67sc View Post
"I am looking for something that will look better."

What race are you trying to win?

Just really trying to have some fun and a nice car, I don't really think I will win anything. I have been a competitive motorcycle racer for years and just looking to have some fun.

Great suggestion on contacting the track, I will do that, thanks all.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 12, 02:38 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

If in stock location...I think that'll be fine. But as always, check with your local track.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 12, 07:39 AM
Senior Tech
Al

You can "pretty up" a piece of flat bar and make it look decent. I did mine by welding a couple of chunks of angle iron to it so it wraps around the batt a bit better. Not a show stopper but clean and effective. This is a trunk mount but you get the idea.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 12, 10:46 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

This is how I mounted mine, trunk mount.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 12, 11:05 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

Here are the rules for batteries, directly from the NHRA rule book:

"All batteries must be securely mounted. Batteries may not be relocated into the driver or passenger compartments. Rear firewall of .024-inch steel or .032-inch aluminum (including package tray) required when battery is relocated in the trunk. In lieu of rear firewall, battery may be located in a sealed .024-inch steel, .032-inch aluminum, or NHRA-accepted poly box. If sealed box is used in lieu of rear firewall, box may not be used to secure battery and must be vented outside of body. Relocated battery(s) must be fastened to frame or frame structure with minimum of two 3/8-inch bolts. ("J" hooks prohibited or must have open end welded shut). Betal battery hold-down straps mandatory. Strapping tape prohibited. A maximum of two automobile batteries, or 150 pounds combined maximum weight (unless otherwise specified in Class Requirements), is permitted. Maximums may vary according to Class Requirements."

Your local track has to follow these same rules if they are a sanctioned NHRA track and even IHRA follows the same rules.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 12, 11:10 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

The first sentence (of the rules) is why I asked if you were keeping it in the stock location, if so it just has to be securely mounted, meaning not loose. The stock hold down is fine so the one you have pictured would be more than enough. If putting it in the trunk then things get a little more complex.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 12, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

As said, each track is different in interpeting the rules.
My track had said the OE clamp-on bracket was not good enough - needed a over-top-holddown bracket. A bracket to hold the battery in place in case vehicle rolls over.
So, 3/8 inch allthread, a hole drilled in the rad support and a 3/8 inch bolt/nut and a commerical top bracket passed inspection.

Then later in life, moved to the trunk, made a bracket like Al's (BPOS) and used 3./8 allthread through the frame rail with fender washers underneath the rail and cutoff switch.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 12, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Chuck

Thanks so much for all the replies, I read the rules several times and it seemed to me like OEM hold down would be allowed, otherwise 3/8 rod is required. I emaild my local track at Doug's suggestion they got right back to me and said that hold down would not pass, 3/8 rod or bolts are required.

Thanks to Al and Royce for the pictures. I am going to make something like BPOS and have it powder coated so I will have no question. Thanks again for the replies and help. I hope to get this car going and get my first 1/4 mile in before the summer is over.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 12, 02:36 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

To be honest... I've only had my stock battery checked a few times and all they did was grab and shake...no looking.

Mine is now in trunk and simular to this but in mild steel.....

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 12, 04:54 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

There are plenty of bone stock cars fresh off the showroom floor that race all the time with nothing, but what came from the factory.

Old cars had poor battery hold downs "not secure". I agree different tech inspectors have their own "rules".

That's the main reason I asked if it was going to be trunk mounted, they get a LOT more picky when you move it to the trunk.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 12, 05:42 PM
Senior Tech
David

I tried to get this version to fit in the stock location in my '69....the base was too big and interfered with the inner fender.

I sold it to a friend of mine and he installed it in the trunk of his '67 Camaro alcohol injected drag racecar.

David F.

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode