Rear qtr panel wheel well lip - Team Camaro Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 12, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ben

Rear qtr panel wheel well lip

When tubbed, did they cut the wheel well inner lip? If removed are u happy with the eveness of the cut job?

Can u post a pic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 12, 04:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Re: Rear qtr panel wheel well lip

Which part are you actually talking about?

The part that attaches to the quarterpanels or the part that attaches to the frame.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 12, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ben

The lip that would hold the chrome wheel well molding.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 12, 08:09 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

I didnt have to trim mine on a nice fit. But I'm waiting to see how much the tire grows at speed. Once I see that, I'll decide whether to trim the inner lip or go with a shorter tire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Then: N/A, 436 ci, Stock Block, Track 1's, Stock Suspension, Ranchos, 3250 lbs... 1.33 60 ft / 9.69 @ 138 mph
Now: Boost...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 12, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ben

When I bought my car it was already tubbed and the lip was cut. They didn't do a great job of the cut so they put a chrome edge molding to hide imperfections. I am trying to decide if to take the car to a body shop to smooth out what's there and ditch the edge molding or spend big bucks to have quarters replaced and stretched to make it look original. If I don't plan to install wheel well moldings I am not sure I need the expense. I just want the front and back to be similar as either both having moldings or both none not what I have now with nothing in front and edge molding for the rear.

Thoughts?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 12, 02:43 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

I didn't cut mine out because 1) it hasn't been necessary, and 2) I want to stay true to the original look of the car including trim. So I started with original quarters and chose to keep them that way.

In your case, it seems you have a decision to make and it's based on how much you really want to have OEM appearing quarters. Only you can answer that. If it were me, it would depend on whether the car is purely a weekend beater or a show and go piece. My 2 cents...

Then: N/A, 436 ci, Stock Block, Track 1's, Stock Suspension, Ranchos, 3250 lbs... 1.33 60 ft / 9.69 @ 138 mph
Now: Boost...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 12, 04:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I stretched my quarters 5" for the 33" tires. I have the original lip on mine. The tubs are big and are caulked to the quarters.

Mike

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 12, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet69camaro View Post
I stretched my quarters 5" for the 33" tires. I have the original lip on mine. The tubs are big and are caulked to the quarters.
Think its easier to stretch on a 69 cause you already have the straight edge at the top as mine has a curvature all the way around the tire.

Think is what i will do is see if for under $200 a body shop will fix what i have now so i can take the edge trim off, and when i get the car painted down the road have them do the qtrs then so i am not paying for paint twice.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 12, 05:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensrat View Post
Think its easier to stretch on a 69 cause you already have the straight edge at the top as mine has a curvature all the way around the tire.

Think is what i will do is see if for under $200 a body shop will fix what i have now so i can take the edge trim off, and when i get the car painted down the road have them do the qtrs then so i am not paying for paint twice.
Harwood makes a extended wheelwell opening in fiberglass. This is a option.

http://www.eharwood.com/catalog/cata...+WELL+OPENINGS

Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode