Quarter Panel Bracing - Team Camaro Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 12, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

Quarter Panel Bracing

Here is what my concern is, I worried that the lower portion of my quarter panel, by the rear of the wheel well opening may flex and get torn by my slick.

I have seem this before, but have any of you made some sort of bracing that attaches to the frame or a trunk floor panel and runs down to the lip on the quarter panel to support it from flexing?

If so, what did you use?

Thanks

Bruce

69 Camaro, 496, 10.34 @ 134.77 mph.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 12, 07:35 AM
Senior Tech
Bob

Re: Quarter Panel Bracing

It's called the trunk dropoff panel, and was a standard piece of sheetmetal on the cars. It runs the length of the lower quarter lip behind the wheelwell, ties to the rear inner valence panel, and welds to the edge of the main trunk floor.

If you're running slicks and have modified the wheelwells or trunk floor by backhalfing the car or something, you'll probably have to fabricate a similar piece to fit your modified pieces.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 12, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

Thanks for the reply Bob.

Yes the car has been given the treatment of a narrowed frame rail assembly and is tubbed.

I found some 1/4" SS tubing and I welded on an angle bracket on the one end and when I get home, I'll have to figure out the angle needed for the other end and weld that piece on as well. Then I'll bolt it to the floor or maybe lower portion of the tub and then to the lip on the panel.

That should work???

Thanks

69 Camaro, 496, 10.34 @ 134.77 mph.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 12, 04:02 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

I would make them just like fender braces. I like to use 1/2" SS tubing, flatten the ends and bend to the angle you want/need. Then drill and bolt them in.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode