LS swap into running car or? - Team Camaro Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 13, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Randy

LS swap into running car or?

I'm pulling together my spreadsheet for my LS swap and I started to visualize all of the swaps I need to make on my car so I pictured all of the parts laid out on the garage floor from the nose of the car to the back. This is a really good visual for me. I do not have most of the parts yet btw...

Starting at the front and working to the back of this collection of parts we have

Radiator & hoses & fan assembly
New upper and lower tubular control arms & coil overs
Disk Brakes
LS engine and all the components, headers, water pump, alternator, etc.....
ECM, mass airflow sensor, wiring harness, etc.....
New throttle controls to cabled Throttle body
Engine mounts
Pull out old factor AC suitcase and cover firewall
New gauges or at least ways to transform digital signals to analog signals
Trans cross member
New clutch & hydraulic clutch linkage + master + misc pedal parts etc.....
T56 transmission
Drive shaft
Subframe connectors
Fuel lines
EFI Fuel tank + fuel pump
And I think I might re-wire the car while I am at this.

Not a complete list by any means but it hits the big items I think (curious if I have missed anything major here).

Here's the mostly rambling/discussion part of my note........

The thing that has me scratching my head a bit is that I have a perfectly good running car right now with an old reliable 350/M21 installed and I am going to be pulling all of those parts out and replacing them, so essentially gutting the car. If feels like I'll be replacing about 1/2 of my car.

Does that make any sense? Or should I really be looking for a car that is already lacking an engine and tranny and working from that?

I think I know the answer to this, if I could sell my car for the right price and find a suitable roller at the right price, then yes it makes sense "for me" to sell my car and start my LS build with a roller and work up.

If however I cannot find a buyer for he right price then I guess swapping the LS into my current car and reselling the parts left over is the right way to go.......

Just seems strange to pull that much out of a working car and replace.

Seriously, have any of you ever thought of it this way?

I am going to keep sourcing the parts I need and once I have them all I can decide which direction to go I guess. In the meantime perhaps I'll list my car and see if I get any takers. However given the market I bet I could never get what I need out of my current car.

1969 Cheverolet Camaro - Pro Touring
2018 Dodge Challenger R/T ScatPack 392 Shaker Hood Hemi
2016 BMW R1200rs
1976 Honda CB550 - I restored
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 13, 11:43 AM
Guess

Cool Re: LS swap into running car or?

Quote:
Originally Posted by il_randyb View Post
The thing that has me scratching my head a bit is that I have a perfectly good running car right now with an old reliable 350/M21 installed and I am going to be pulling all of those parts out and replacing them, so essentially gutting the car. If feels like I'll be replacing about 1/2 of my car.

Does that make any sense?
Deja Vu.
The only difference between us I think is that my body work was never completed and the car never painted, so I had a little less to work with as far as deciding on the LS swap than you.
But you got that 'feeling' of how huge the project is way before I did. I had the car gutted inside and out, THEN realized, holy crap... it's like building the car from scratch all over again! And it is essentially. From a daily driver to a pile of parts in a matter of days.
Other than the passenger seat and carpet, brake system, glass, rear end, doors and trunk lid... there's not a part of the car that did not come off to do the swap.

Go for it. Unless you don't like your body for some reason and have no attachment to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode