Street Car Ideas - Team Camaro Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 14, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Brendon

Street Car Ideas

Hello guys,
I was just wondering if there's anyone out there who has a Street Car I think that this falls under Pro Street. I have a Green 69 RS/SS 350 project I am currently working on. I had thought about making the car Numbers Matching but was really turned onto the Pro Street/Street Car scene after going through some old photographs from car shows over a decade ago. I also looked into Pro Touring but grew out of it fast. There are a few First Gen Street Cars here in Hawaii that I know of.

I do not plan to Mini Tub or Backhalf the car I wanna stick to stock suspension with Cal Tacs and Subframe Connectors. As for fuel tank l I'm looking at a Sumped Tank. I am going back and forth about Small Block Stroker or Big Block. I have a set of Weld Pro Stars just need to buy tires and for hoods I am looking at a Harwood or Glasstech 4". Interior wise I am looking at just bone stock White Houndstooth with all the Woodgrain Dash, Grab Bar, Console and Console Gauges down to an original Rosewood on a Tilt Column. As far as paint I have decided to eventually paint the car it's original color Rallye Green White Hockey Stick. I just want to get some ideas from TC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 14, 08:33 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS
Re: Street Car Ideas

By my definition of Pro Street you needs tires that won't fit in stock or mini tubs. I think what you're describing is Resto Mod. Just my .02

Jeff
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 14, 01:28 AM
Senior Tech
Sean

4 inch cowls are nice, but keep in mind that all fiberglass parts require 50-60 hrs of work just to make them look acceptable. They more often than not require being cut and reshaped to fit the car properly. Harwood even puts a nice sticker telling you this on their hoods when they ship them to you. As far as keeping the stock appearing suspension, hotchkis makes some very good leafs for these cars, as well a upgraded front sway bars and traction bars. Depending on what you want the car to do, engine choice is very important. If you want something very streetable, small block it. If you wanna burn the tires off easily, BBC make stupid torque numbers for cheap.

1967 RS/SS Camaro 383 5 speed tremec 3.70
1967 RS/SS Camaro 383 5 speed tremec 4.10
1967 RS Camaro Convertible 327 4 speed 3.73
1969 SS Camaro 6.0 LS Twin Turbo 5 Speed 3.50
2013 ZL1 Camaro roto-fab airbox pulley swap Rest In Pieces March 27 2014

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 14, 02:43 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

I agree...ProStreet is usually reserved for back-halved cars.

Not that you can't call it that, but when someone says the name, it's the image in my brain.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 14, 03:29 PM
Tech Team
Lance

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTF Automotive View Post
4 inch cowls are nice, but keep in mind that all fiberglass parts require 50-60 hrs of work just to make them look acceptable. They more often than not require being cut and reshaped to fit the car properly. Harwood even puts a nice sticker telling you this on their hoods when they ship them to you. As far as keeping the stock appearing suspension, hotchkis makes some very good leafs for these cars, as well a upgraded front sway bars and traction bars. Depending on what you want the car to do, engine choice is very important. If you want something very streetable, small block it. If you wanna burn the tires off easily, BBC make stupid torque numbers for cheap.
Depends on the brand of hood. Harwood stuff is junk for the most part. I've painted a cowl hood from VFN, and a Glasstek 6" cowl on my Camaro, both needed VERY little prep work, the VFN was actually damn near ready to paint out of the box. The Glasstek had a tiny bit of filler needed, both hoods were painted with an hours worth of work done.

1967 Camaro
598 BBC - TH400 - Prostreet
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 14, 04:09 PM
Senior Tech
Alex

Can't go wrong with rallye green & the white hockeysticks. I've got standard white interior but white hounds would look great. May get some rims to dress her up this year but will still keep the rallys.

The Rides
1969 Camaro RS
1969 Nova SS
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 14, 04:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Prostreet is for tubbed / narrowed / back halfed cars. Most fiberglass hoods need a little bit of work. Unlimited fiiberglass products is junk. Stay away unless that is all you can find. The rest are descent. Harwood sell a show hood that is finished on the inside too. Most others are raw / jelcoat fiberglass.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 14, 04:32 PM

cant go wrong with a steel 4" cowl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	69camaro.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	69018  

scott campbell
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 14, 03:53 PM
Senior Tech
B

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow69RS View Post
By my definition of Pro Street you needs tires that won't fit in stock or mini tubs. I think what you're describing is Resto Mod. Just my .02

Jeff
So this isn't Pro Street in your book?
http://www.highperformancepontiac.co.../photo_10.html

Formers: 1969 RS 350, 700HP 1967 Flash-in-a-pan Firebird 400, 2002 Z28 M6 1SC/1SZ
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 14, 06:21 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

No. I certainly wouldnt call that 'pro' street. It looks simply like a badass street car, hooking up hard on what appears to be 10" slicks? Thats sweet.

I agree with the term 'pro street' meaning a back-halfed and tubbed car with huge tires, usually M/T's fitting up into the tubs. Made popular in the 80's and 90's, now pretty much passť as real street cars are running 9's, 8's and even quicker on normal width slicks, without tubs or anything silly body butchery like that.

As far as the 4" cowl, personally I think they are so tall they get out of proportion and ends up looking goofy. However, if you have something under the hood to justify an actual need for a 4" cowl that is awesome.

I would simply whack a hole in the stock hood if you're going with a tunnel ram or a blower. If you're gonna run something awesome like that, show it off! 67-69 flat hoods seem to be available on craigslist every day for cheap. Here's a perfect one for $50 obo http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/pts/4614680995.html

As far as big block vs. small block, I went through this in my build plan too. I realized there is a ton of extra stuff you need to buy / modify to put a big block in your car. Since you have a small block car, just keep it a small block and build a brutal SBC. Just build a stout 383 or 400, and I think you'll be quite happy with it. With the 3.75" crank, you've got big block torque in a small block package. Besides, it is lighter, especially with aluminum heads and intake, and small block parts are always less expensive than BBC stuff.

The important thing here is that you ask me what kind of car I've got. "I've got a BITCHIN' CAMARO"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'68 350 4 speed
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 14, 04:28 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

The 69 is so ionic it is best to be left stock looking with a quality restoration complimented with unnoticeable upgrades. Not a fan of the 4" but to each his own. I would BB it with fuel injection, 5 or 6 speed, upgrade suspension, IROC steering, larger sway bars and some cool wheels, I like the 8" vette rallys. Just an old guy talkin, and the proud owner of 4 69 SS, 3 are RS, 1 Vert, Lemans Blue, Hugger Orange, Black and Silver, 2 SB, 2BB. All have trophied over the years and all restored by this old guy. Good luck and have fun with your 69.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 14, 07:33 AM
Senior Tech
B

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookykrispy View Post

No. I certainly wouldnt call that 'pro' street. It looks simply like a badass street car, hooking up hard on what appears to be 10" slicks? Thats sweet.

I agree with the term 'pro street' meaning a back-halfed and tubbed car with huge tires, usually M/T's fitting up into the tubs. Made popular in the 80's and 90's, now pretty much passť as real street cars are running 9's, 8's and even quicker on normal width slicks, without tubs or anything silly body butchery like that
I agree. That is my car when a previous work owner had the blower on. It was being advertised as "pro street" (mini tub, narrowed 9" with 4.56)but I told him I thought that claims was hurting it since it was closer to a pro touring, but not quite there either. Its all motor now, with a 4 inch cowl that has less than an inch if clearance.

If anything, my car has an identity crisis.

Formers: 1969 RS 350, 700HP 1967 Flash-in-a-pan Firebird 400, 2002 Z28 M6 1SC/1SZ
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 14, 09:56 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Everyone has their own idea I guess, but whenever I hear the term "pro touring", I immediately think of gaudy huge 17" or larger billet wheels, massive disc brakes, and lots of gee-whiz tubular suspension components, all lowered on air-bags.

I'd say that bird you have is simply a badass street machine. No need to try to pigeon hole it into some other musclecar genre.

The important thing here is that you ask me what kind of car I've got. "I've got a BITCHIN' CAMARO"
'68 350 4 speed
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 14, 06:38 PM
Senior Tech
B

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookykrispy View Post
Everyone has their own idea I guess, but whenever I hear the term "pro touring", I immediately think of gaudy huge 17" or larger billet wheels, massive disc brakes, and lots of gee-whiz tubular suspension components, all lowered on air-bags.

I'd say that bird you have is simply a badass street machine. No need to try to pigeon hole it into some other musclecar genre.
Besides being " close to Pro Street" in the back, it has tubular front suspension and adjustable coilovers on the front, traction bars in back. With a 541 V8 by Butler Performance and Roland Racing in between.
It all works together pretty well, surprisingly.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 14, 06:55 PM
John

Garage

IMHO This 69 defines Protour

LS7/T56
Mini Tubbed with 18" Wheels
Full aftermaket tubular Subframe
Torque Arm Rear with Currie F9 Posi
Coilovers
6 piston Wilwoods
AC
Nav System

Car handles better and is faster then my C6ZO6

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
1969, camaro, rsss, ssrs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode