Narrowed deff help - Team Camaro Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 15, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Bill

Narrowed deff help

I have a 68 i am going to put a S&W 28" back half and will be runing 31x18.5/15 tire and 15x14 with 4"bs wheel my ? is what do i need to have my rear end narrowed too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 15, 08:27 AM
Senior Tech
MARK

Garage
Send a message via AIM to PROZ11
Re: Narrowed deff help

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcknotts View Post
I have a 68 i am going to put a S&W 28" back half and will be runing 31x18.5/15 tire and 15x14 with 4"bs wheel my ? is what do i need to have my rear end narrowed too
I bought my back half kit from S&W also. They told me exactly what width the rear needed to be for my car. I actually purchased the narrowed housing from them a month or so later. It was easier that way since it already had all of the brackets in place for their kit.

Pro Street Z11 clone

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YOUTUBE VIDEO:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 15, 09:52 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Here is Moser's custom axle order form.

http://www.moserengineering.com/mose...rm-w4-link.pdf

It depends upon you taking accurate measurements. Unless you already have the tires and wheels and have the rear wheel tubs installed flush up against your back half frame rails I wouldn't even consider ordering a rear end just yet.

Dimension "L" is for the spacing on your four link brackets which will also need to have the back half installed to measure. Dimension "D" is the distance between the back face of your wheels that will be placed centered in your new huge wheel tubs as you and friend take this most critical measurement. I use either a wooden rule to measure this if I have lots of room, or I lay a steel pipe through the center holes and mark where the back face of the wheel edge is on the pipe with a extra fine point marker (scribe if it leaves a noticeable mark), and then measure the marks on the pipe. Your measurement on a Camaro isn't as critical as it is on other body styles (say a Nova with an en closed outer fender wheel well opening) thanks to the generous rounded arch of the rear fender. On many cars the wheel arch encroaches at the tire front and back not only at the top of the wheel well when you have a large tire O.D. and a wide tread width. I was building these cars long before modern rubber compounds allowed you to get into the sevens with a 10.5 inch slick.

When It comes time to order your rear end I would order a Dana 60. Here is Moser's order form for when the time finally arrives.

http://www.moserengineering.com/mose...2-D60-list.pdf

Compare the price of a Dana 60 equipped with Detroit locker with 35 spline axles to the Ford nine inch I suspect you have in mind and know that all of the 2,500 horse Pro Stock race cars are using a Dana 60 with a spool and not a nine inch rear end for a reason. I would also install an eleven inch drum brake on the back instead of any form of a disc brake unless you are leaving the brakes off your front axle altogether (I know it doesn't look cool, but they work better at stopping the car on the track or the street). You said you are not going to be road racing this car; and that is the only type of racing where a disc brake set up will exceed the ability of a drum brake at stopping the car.

Big Dave

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 15, 12:54 PM
Senior Tech
MARK

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larger Dave View Post
Unless you already have the tires and wheels and have the rear wheel tubs installed flush up against your back half frame rails I wouldn't even consider ordering a rear end just yet.
Big Dave
This is what I did ...

Pro Street Z11 clone

YOUTUBE VIDEO:

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 15, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Bill

thanks. that's a beautiful car what tire and wheel size are you running
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 15, 12:06 PM
Senior Tech
MARK

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcknotts View Post
thanks. that's a beautiful car what tire and wheel size are you running
If you're referring to my car, the rear wheels are 15X15 and the rear tires are 15X29X18.5. I went with this size so I wouldn't have to widen/stretch the wheel opening of quarters and also to keep the convertible top fully functional.

Pro Street Z11 clone

YOUTUBE VIDEO:

Last edited by PROZ11; Nov 10th, 15 at 12:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode