Hello - Team Camaro Tech
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 16, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

Hello

been lurking here for years and thought it was time to exit the shadows.

I'm currently working on a 67 plain jane Camaro, almost no options. Dad and I picked it up in 1986 with plans to Tub it and make a race car. Well life happened and we never finished. Its been sitting outside untouched for almost 30 years. I decided this was the year to start.

So far Ive removed the ladder bar setup and replaced it with a triangulated 4 link, Rebuilt body mounts to attached the body to the 2x3 frame we made years ago. Next step is to get floors back in it. I plan to use a stock floorpan and clearance it to fit around the frame. when done it will have 29x18 mickeys on the back, Looking for some pictures of these on a Camaro as well as trunk pictures with smaller wheel tubs. I'm hoping to put a back seat in it again. I think its going to workout but not sure yet

Thanks - Ken
mccorry likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 16, 01:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Re: Hello

If I recall some people have used convertable back seats to fit with the tubs. Either way you can always cut the frame on the seat and shorten it that way.

Sold:
1968 Base hardtop 250 with a P̶G̶ built 2004r
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Langdon split header to a 2.5" exhaust
Mild cam
Custom interior
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 16, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

At the moment I'm a long way from interior. To be honest, their is more rust and repairs than actual Camaro at the moment. If it wasn't for the sentimental value I would sell it a buy another in better shape

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 16, 05:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

If you look into the build threads you should find a few minitub jobs.

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 16, 09:22 PM
Apprentice
Harv

Garage

Love to see some pic of what your working on!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 16, 03:44 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Welcome to the site, Ken!

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 16, 03:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage

Welcome to TC Ken. The hardest part about putting nice new perfect floors and trunk pan back in it is knowing you are going to hack it up to fit the frame connectors, 4-link front mounts and the coil over upper mounts - ask me how I know lol.

'68 Camaro with RS conversion
Moser 9" with 4:11
Martz Chassis 4-link and Front Sub-frame
Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed
572 BB - CM Engines
Wilwood 6 piston front and 4 piston rear disc
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 16, 04:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Watch it Greg. You will have Ken thinking that membership here is to be part of a 12 step program...

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 16, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittpens24 View Post
Welcome to TC Ken. The hardest part about putting nice new perfect floors and trunk pan back in it is knowing you are going to hack it up to fit the frame connectors, 4-link front mounts and the coil over upper mounts - ask me how I know lol.
Due to the way we built the car 30 years ago, its going to take some magic to get the stock type floor back in, The rear frame is 2x3 box that runs from the front subframe all the way to the rear bumper. it is welded and boxed to the inside of the stock front frame rails. Body mounts are welded between the rockers and the 2x3 frame. taking the body off the frame is not possible without cutting mounts. with careful measurements from fixed points, I'm hoping to clearance the floor pan before putting it in from the top, this may require sectioning the floor to fit it in through either the door opening or windshield opening. I'm not quite there yet so Ill see how it plays out.

Looking at the whole picture, its overwhelming. the amount of work need is enormous. I brake it down into very small pieces so that I can accomplish small goals frequently rather than focusing on the "Finished Car" I focus on a single Weld or Fabricated piece. Keeps me moving without being discouraged.

Make no mistake, when it is complete. It will contain more new metal than old, The joke here is the only original part will be the vin tag.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 16, 05:00 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Have a cage?

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 16, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d cad View Post
Have a cage?
currently has a 14 point cage, I have been slowly removing it as I brace and repair sections of the car. The plan is to replace it with a more street friendly 6 or 8 point. we didn't do the best job of installing it the first time around, I'm older, wiser (I think), and more patient now. hopefully this will equate to a cleaner setup
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 16, 05:37 AM
Senior Tech
ray

Welcome. Sounds like lots of work ahead. Good luck with it.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 16, 07:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

You have a lot of work with the blessing that its so far off original that you have the ability to do what you have to do. Will your floor be "on" the chassis more than "in" the chassis? Please post some pics at some point so we can all offer you more advice than you can possibly need. Most of us who arent stock kinda move our cars from streeters towards racecars. You are coming the other way.

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 16, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

Quote:
You have a lot of work with the blessing that its so far off original that you have the ability to do what you have to do. Will your floor be "on" the chassis more than "in" the chassis? Please post some pics at some point so we can all offer you more advice than you can possibly need. Most of us who arent stock kinda move our cars from streeters towards racecars. You are coming the other way.
It will be "on" the chassis in the front, at or near the rear of the front seat brackets it be "in" the chassis. I still haven't figured our the rear seat area. Ill post some pictures in a day or two, I'm in the process of getting it out of the driveway an into a very small 1 car garage
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 16, 09:40 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage

Quote:
Watch it Greg. You will have Ken thinking that membership here is to be part of a 12 step program...
I thought that went hand in hand with the membership........or maybe that is therapy from talking and yelling at your car when things don't go right

'68 Camaro with RS conversion
Moser 9" with 4:11
Martz Chassis 4-link and Front Sub-frame
Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed
572 BB - CM Engines
Wilwood 6 piston front and 4 piston rear disc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode