LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 17, 05:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage
Re: pro street tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by big gear head View Post
I do have one wheel that has a little bit of wobble that you can see when it is on the balancer.
If you can see the wobble on a balancer, I'd start with that. It's only going to get worse at speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 17, 05:24 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jonathon

Quote:
No tubes.
Okay I had a buddy who ripped his on launch due to the tire leaking down and it shaked violently like you describe at the finish line.

68 Resto-Mod in progress..355sbc .350 Trans Rushforth wheels
My Build:
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 17, 08:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

Quote:
Thanks Lynn. I do have one wheel that has a little bit of wobble that you can see when it is on the balancer. They are Centerline Pro Stock wheels made in '86. The tires are not very old and still look good, but I don't think they are holding their shape at high speed. I have no proof of this, but I can't find anything else wrong with the car.
Guessing that by 86 Centerlines were all shank type lug nuts. That may be your problem. Manufacturer will tell you they are lug centric. No way.

I purchased two sets of hub centric rings for Centerline wheels to Chevy axle hub size. They are a must if you want to eliminate vibration. You will have to have them made though, as I searched hi and lo and found no off the shelf rings that fit. Cost is just under $80 for custom rings, but well worth it. Everyone I know who runs Centerlines without the rings has to re-torque the shank type lug nuts occasionally. I never do.

As for the wheel that wobbles, as stated above, if you can see it wobble, it is way too bent to use at high speed.

Be careful, man. Your statment "This thing gets wild at about 110 MPH" reminds me of a motorcycle experience I had in 1983.

Suzuki GS1100E. At the time, the fastest production bike around. Magazines said something about it being a "wriggling handful" at speed. I figured they were over stating the case. They were understating. One night on a smooth two lane black top with zero traffic, took her up to about 130 mph (didn't take long to get there, that bike would do 0-100 and back to zero in 10 seconds in the hands of a capable rider. Anyway, hit just the slightest little imperfection in the road and the handlebars start shaking violently back and forth, like 8 inches. Holy chit. Almost crapped my pants. Let off the gas. No change. Blipped the throttle. No change. Tapped the brakes. No change. Not until I slowed down below 100 did it even out. Parked it on the side of the road, sat ont he curb with my knees hitting each other I was so shook up. Sold it the next day. Feeling nastolgic, I did buy an identical bike in 2007 with only2500 miles on it, knowing that in my old age, I would never foolishly exceed 100. After two episodes of inattentive drivers causing me to lock up the brakes (no ABS), and my brother almost getting killed on his bike whild doing less than the speed limit I sold that one as well.

Anyway, get this ficured out.

Lynn

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 17, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Freddie

I don't completely understand what these rings are that you are talking about. I'm a tool maker and have access to any type of machine that I could need to make these rings, but I need to know more about them.

'69 RS/SS396 pro street/427/4spd/9"

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 17, 05:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
I don't completely understand what these rings are that you are talking about. I'm a tool maker and have access to any type of machine that I could need to make these rings, but I need to know more about them.
This is a random image I pulled off a google search, the blue ring is the hub centric ring. A hub centric ring matches the sizing of the camaro hub/spindle to the diameter of the wheel opening. Aftermarket wheels usually have a larger/generic center hole so they will fit on a variety of cars, forcing the lug nuts to center the wheels. A proper hub centric ring takes up the gap and allows the hub to center the wheel instead.

Larger Dave likes this.

post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 17, 05:43 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

I discovered this to be very true back in the days of ET with "uni-lug" wheels (big open slots) were the wheel was held on by a a 10 gauge washer washer and a prayer.

Big Dave
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 17, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Freddie

OK, gotcha. That'll be easy. Thanks!

post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 17, 06:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

http://us.hubcentric-rings.com/why_h.../?src=intpopup

Good luck! I would think these would be very easy to make if you have the right equipment. Be glad to send you one of mine, temporarily to use as a guide.

I have a really good buddy who has all the great machinery. Fortunately, I have been able to help him out with many things as well, so I don't feel like too much of a mooch. Last time I showed up with some parts that needed to be machined for a Ferrari project, he said: "Having you as a friend is like having another kid."

He is a great day. Looking forward to a final report that says: Smooth as butter at 120.

Lynn
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 17, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Freddie

Just talked to a guy at Hoosier Tire and he said that I need to work on the front suspension. He said that a lot of Super Stock guys had this problem when they started running radial tires on their cars and that usually stiffening up the front suspension made it go away. He called it radial wobble. I've already set my shocks as firm as they will go and it didn't make any noticeable difference. I also added a front anti sway bar, which raised the speed where this happens from around 75 MPH to around 100 MPH.

post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 17, 01:43 PM
Team Member
Joe

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilodeaulynn View Post
Suzuki GS1100E. At the time, the fastest production bike around. Magazines said something about it being a "wriggling handful" at speed. I figured they were over stating the case. They were understating. One night on a smooth two lane black top with zero traffic, took her up to about 130 mph (didn't take long to get there, that bike would do 0-100 and back to zero in 10 seconds in the hands of a capable rider. Anyway, hit just the slightest little imperfection in the road and the handlebars start shaking violently back and forth, like 8 inches. Holy chit. Almost crapped my pants. Let off the gas. No change. Blipped the throttle. No change. Tapped the brakes. No change. Not until I slowed down below 100 did it even out. Parked it on the side of the road, sat ont he curb with my knees hitting each other I was so shook up. Sold it the next day. Feeling nastolgic, I did buy an identical bike in 2007 with only2500 miles on it, knowing that in my old age, I would never foolishly exceed 100. After two episodes of inattentive drivers causing me to lock up the brakes (no ABS), and my brother almost getting killed on his bike whild doing less than the speed limit I sold that one as well.
I had almost the same bike, and it suffered the same fate, but ended up worse for wear - I had a 78 GS that was a drag bike with a license plate. In my hands (and weight - I run 230lbs), the bike never gave me a lick of trouble. I sold it to a much smaller friend of mine, who promptly ran it up over 120mph and the bike went into a 'death wobble' that totaled the bike, and almost totaled my friend.

Glad we're older and wiser...

Remember you're unique...just like everyone else...
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 18, 10:32 AM
Apprentice
Stewart

did you ever get this sorted? i have a 69 with 33x22r15 sportsman s/r tires and it shakes violently 80+mph. even if just cruising on the freeway. the faster you go, the worse it gets.

the driveshaft has been balanced twice, front suspension changed, rear suspension rebuilt...the tires are my final attempt to fix this. this thing will rattle your teeth at 100+mph. it's going to shake itself apart. i just got a bubble balancer, but i can see a bad balance causing this much shake.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 18, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Freddie

Yes. I put a set of Hoosier slicks on it for drag racing and the problem went away completely. Hoosier said that I was not running enough air pressure in the pro street radials. I was running about 15 PSI in them and they said that I needed about 30 PSI for the side walls to be stable. I haven't had the radials back on it at this speed, so I don't know if the air pressure helped, but several other people are running these tires without having this problem.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode