pro street tires - Team Camaro Tech
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 17, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Freddie

pro street tires

I think I'm having problems with the tires on my Camaro. At about 100 MPH the car starts to shake from side to side very hard. I've got 31/18.50/15 Hoosier Pro Street radials on it. Does anyone else have a similar problem? I'm going to put a set of slicks on it in a few weeks to see if the problem goes away.

'69 RS/SS396 pro street/427/4spd/9"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 17, 12:53 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Re: pro street tires

Buddy had a similar issue on his 70 Nova...it was found to be a combination of tire roll out was different and a bent rear.
Tires were swapped for new which helped some, then he broke a sway-bar link mount and found the bend when that was being fixed a month or so later.
Said top end wasn't fun at 140+.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 17, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Freddie

I've been all over the suspension on my car, and the rear end was built with a housing fixture in it. I've adjusted the shocks all the way in both directions. The tires are only a few years old and still seem to be in good shape. I haven't measured the roll out on them. This thing gets wild at about 110 MPH.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 17, 02:42 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

I remember him saying it felt like someone in the back rocking side to side.

I'm guessing either a locker or spool ?

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 17, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Freddie

Detroit Locker and spool.

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 17, 03:16 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Locker or spool won't cause the issue but pinion angle to a bad balance of rotating parts (from drive shaft to tires) will.

Another issue could be the belting in the tread area if that is starting to separate. The radial construction is much more flexible than bias ply tires at the same pressure. not to mention the fabric used to construct the carcass. Wrinkle wall slicks which have an extreme side wall angle could be down right dangerous if he has another issue.

Big Dave
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 17, 03:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mickey

This seems overly simple Freddie but did you check the balance?
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 17, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Freddie

Yes, tires have been on the balancer 2 times. I've also adjusted the pinion angle.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 17, 04:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jonathon

Freddie my brother has a 67 with 14/32 Hoosier slicks and had an issue with the bead. I am thinking it was only with bead locks but they/Hoosier changed the bead design at some point. I don't know if your issue is related to that or not just a little info for you.
They know about the issue and are trying to help people with it.

68 Resto-Mod in progress..355sbc .350 Trans Rushforth wheels
My Build:
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 17, 04:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Can you borrow someone's wheel/tires and see if the problem persists?

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 17, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Freddie

Thanks Jonathan. I'll try to contact Hoosier tomorrow and see what they say.

Brent, I'm working on getting another set of tires and I'll try that. I need a set of slicks anyway, so I'm getting a set next week. Then I need to find a set of wheels with the correct 4 1/2 inch back space.

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 17, 07:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

Given who the OP is, I think it is safe to eliminate pinion angle, driveshaft balance and tire balance.

That only leaves three things:
1. Belt separation.
2. Wheel run out.
3. Tire run out.

Freddie, if you were close to me I would be glad to loan you some big rear tires & wheels to try out.

Personally, I would suspect the tires first. But, to be sure, you best check wheels for "TRUE" before going much farther, although you did say you needed tires anyway. Perfect time to check wheel run out if you are on good terms with the installer. Put the wheel on the balancer sans tire and check with a dial indicator. Virtually EVERY wheel manufacturer specifies 1/16 runout as acceptable. I call BS, especially if you are going 110 mph or better. Less than 1/32 in my book.

There are guys out that that can true up wheels and get them right on the money.

One other thought: what wheels are you running? If they are aluminum of any kind and the manufacturer claimed they were "lug centric" that is also total bs. I run Centerlines on two vehicles. One set of wheels manufactured in the 2000's, and one from 1972. I love Centerline wheels, but the claim that they are "lug centric" is crap.

I had hub centric rings made for both. How can a wheel that has an acceptable "range" of clearance for shank type lug nuts be "lug centric"? They can't. It is a sham propigated by wheel manufacturers to save money by producing wheels with a giant hub center that they can then drill for different lug patterns. JMHO (but I am right on this one).

Lynn
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 17, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Freddie

Thanks Lynn. I do have one wheel that has a little bit of wobble that you can see when it is on the balancer. They are Centerline Pro Stock wheels made in '86. The tires are not very old and still look good, but I don't think they are holding their shape at high speed. I have no proof of this, but I can't find anything else wrong with the car.

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 17, 04:57 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jonathon

I forgot to ask Freddie are you running tubes?

68 Resto-Mod in progress..355sbc .350 Trans Rushforth wheels
My Build:
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 17, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Freddie

No tubes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode