Team Camaro Tech banner

Thin Steel Shim Headgasket

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  zdld17 
#1 ·
It's something I have never done with alloy heads is use the thin metal .015-.017 steel shim head gaskets. I have used them on steel heads only. I thought I even read where this was a no-no . I know they are not recommended for alloy blocks. Looks like I may attempt.

Has anyone had any issues them selves?

#3 ·
Working in the oil field, I have determined that, you are correct. And it don't make sense as the composition gasket indicated from GM, say they have the "stainless fire ring" around the bore opening.
These shim gaskets are steel and rubber coated which I coat with HiTack . I used to use alumin spray paint but seems the HiTack seals better. Thanks

#5 ·
Thanks Tom, these are the varmits I have my eyes on. I am trying to juggle quench and compression on a 383. Pistons I have for choice are SRP 5 & 16 cc. I want 5 but numbers tell me 16 to run pump gas @ 9.9 with 64cc heads. I was planning on decking block to 0 but that make matters worse so if I leave 16cc piston .025 in hole and use .015 gasket, I am with desired quench and 9.9. . Going to 5 cc piston, I am still at 11.1 with .039 and if I use thicker gaskets, my quench goes to pot. So gues sit will be Felpro 1094 rubber coated with HiTack. I could of course special order piston but I would rather stick to off the shelf. Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.