Team Camaro Tech banner

rubber marks on garage floor

7K views 41 replies 11 participants last post by  Everett#2390 
#1 ·
Hi,
Getting ready to epoxy my garage floor. Doing the cleaning first with TSP and a floor scrubber and brush. My main problem is some idiot (me) did a burn out out of my garage, several afterwards, because it sounded cool in the garage. I know, I'm still like a kid. Anyway, now I have 9" black marks on the old painted garage floor that is very difficult to get off. TSP doesn't do it.

I am sure I have to gt all that off before epoxy, or it wont stick, but who has suggestions other than grinding the whole floor.
Thanks
RJ

#2 ·
Oooo, SixSigma® project
I'd leave those narrow marks and added as 'garage character'.
Now you have a launching pad just like the tracks.
If using a colored epoxy, try a test spot and see what happens.
The paint on the floor previously has been burned off so now you have rubber on the cement - miriatic acid would be my suggestion.

#6 ·
Okay I actually did this too but at my parents house when I was 17 and yep, got my a$$ in a sling for it. I used tar and bug remover to soften the marks and a commercial type floor scraper used for getting carpet glue to come up. Worked really well but took a bunch of passes of soak, wait while it penetrates, scrape, repeat and wore my arms and back out. I never did a burn out in their driveway or garage again. Guess I learned that lesson the old fashioned way - the hard way.

#7 ·
You're not the only one who puts burnout marks in their garage.

Wife came out once when I had my Suzuki Hayabusa when she heard whup-whup-whaaaaaaaaauummmmmmmm!!!

Rolled her eyes, then she didn't bother checking on me afterwards if she heard it.

Heck theres short little blip marks on the driveway right now from me putting her car in the garage...... oops. ;)

:D

..I'm still a kid too......

#8 ·
Torch it off or soak a rag with laquer thinner and lay it over it for a few min's.

MEK or Desoclean will work well.

#9 ·
What brand of Garage Floor Epoxy are going to use?

#10 ·
If you have a painted floor you need to get all the paint off before applying the epoxy if you want it to stick and hold upanyway, the tire mark is the least of your problems. Most kits will give you acid to etch the concrete surface with but if you have paint or sealer on it you'll probably end up having to get it ground to get it all up and the surface profile for the epoxy to adhere to.

#18 ·
Carpet is not a safe idea.

Once soiled with oil or gas,it can be a fire hazard.

Rubber mats work well.you can find them in 5 ft wide rolls of 50 fooet long 1/16"-1/8" thick.

#12 ·
Got the rubber off with brake parts cleaner , as was suggested to me in past posts. Took it right off, but still a messy job. Also took a little paint off, but no big deal there.

Washed the floor 5-6 times to decrease and get it clean, then I let it dry 24 hours. swept it clean with new broom. Filled all the holes and one crack with $20 Lowe's 2-part epoxy filler that really works nicely. Kinda like body filler only easier. Let it dry 8-10 hours, lightly sanded a few areas and cleaned again.

Just finished rolling on the Rustoleum, and spreading the flakes. Had two issues, although the epoxy rolled on very easily. I didn't use an extension pole, rolled it on with just the roller, working on my hands and knees so I could see the whole thing better and not miss anything. When I did this, I noticed a couple places that I could have filled with the epoxy filler, but no time to do it then.

One issue- I was worried that the two packs of flakes in the box, wouldnt be enough so I bought a third one. As I was going along, I was worried that I wouldn't have enough epoxy. As it turned out, I got the whole thing done with one can. Now I realize i could have rolled it on quite a bit thicker. I had the 2 1/2 car kit, and my garage isn't really that size, plus I rolled it over painted surface, instead of bare concrete, in which case, they say the coverage will be a lot more per gallon.

As I was getting finished, I realized I would have to use the third bag of flake. Opened it, and it was slightly different, not as much blue as the first two bags!!!!!
No way to stop now, so I used it, and I don't think it will even be really noticeable once everything dry. At that point I wish I lived across the street from Lowe's.

Anyway, it's in and drying. Camaro and some other stuff is outside the garage under tarps for the next several days. Can't wait to have it dry.

Debating whether or not to apply the clear coat over the top too.

Here are some tips from my experience:
1. Make sure you have everything you might possibly need, and then check about 3-4 more times.

2. Having somebody else to spread the flakes would help and not make you feel so rushed, however, then you are stuck with whatever kind of job they do. I had NO help, wife not interested in helping.

3. The pot life was longer than I had expected here in SW Florida, and it took me longer than I thought it would, mainly due to having to cut it in along the walls. Plan ahead.

4. Don't beat yourself up to much over the whole thing, No matter what you might have done if you had it to do over, it will still be light years ahead of what you had before, and once done, you guys will probably realize you did a good job.

5. I didn't use the concrete etch, because my floor was almost entirely painted before, but follow the directions for your floor.

6. I worried most of the time during the project, haha. When you do it, try to enjoy yourself more than I did. It is impressive to see the improvement as you go along. I think that if I had ever done this before, I wouldn't have stressed so much.

PS- Just went out to the utility room and looked out at the floor as it is drying, and dude, it WILL put a smile on your face, haha.

#14 ·
I did not find the fumes to be a problem at all. My wife commented on them, but that isn't unusual around here. I worled with the garage door open closed until I got near the door, then opened it about three feet so I could finish. Didn't want debris and dust blowing in while I painted the lip of the floor.

I did open the utility room door so I could get a bit of AC, since I have none in the garage itself. I never felt like the fumes were very strong, never got light headed or anything (at least not more than normal). Don't notice any fumes inside the house either.

Just looked again, love it.

#15 ·
Am considering a clear coat over the new epoxyshield coating to get more protection. Rustoleum tech says on the phone that the epoxy xlearcoat will still be subject to yellowing if left in the sun. Urethane, in my understanding will prevent yellowing from the sun. How have you guys addressed this issue, besides keeping the sun out.
Thanks
RJ

#16 ·
Am considering a clear coat over the new epoxyshield coating to get more protection
That and even painting, just wondering how slippery the floor will be wet or have an oils spill or something.....

My carpet suggestion was a bit more than tongue in cheek....I have a large square of carpet under mt cars....like larger than the area the car covers.....good 2nd hand carpet.
Drop a spark plug, dont have to throw it way, spill oil, gets soaked up.....comfortable on the back and knees.
It gets a bit dirty , roll it up and send to the recyclers.....local capet layers always have good 2nd hand replacements usually for couple bucks, or 6 pack, usually free if pick up.

#17 ·
I was wondering too, as I was in the new home biz, is, is it gonna be slippery if it gets wet?
Reason I ask is when homebuyers did this several times, it slip-er-ree when just the littlest bit of water got on it.
Just wondering.

I heard that someone put a bit of fine sand in the mix to get it have a little more grip as he was worried about it.

Got a pic of the new floor? Lets see!

#19 ·
Silica sand is what you use...Its clear and will not produce an unsightly look.you can find this at your paint store or home depot.

you will not want it throughout your floor.It will tear you up as you slide across it wokring on your car.just put it in areas of slipping concern.near doors for example.

#20 ·
Oh yeah.....

You gotta have the speckles.........

You just hafta!

#23 ·
It will burn through the epoxy...

You do burnouts in your garage?

#24 · (Edited)
"It will burn through the epoxy..." Really!?.. No way!

Umm, the OP said he has rubber marks on the floor he wants to epoxy, due to (wait for it) his doing... burnouts on the floor.

So, yes (as we would all like to) ;)

I'm guessing wagonman works where I work, or nearby... Fill in the blanks. Sorry, many smileys :)

#25 ·
Carpet is not a safe idea.

Once soiled with oil or gas,it can be a fire hazard.
Use a bit of good old fashisioned common sence here....
Bit of oil in a carpet..what does it take to set it on fire?
What does it take to set that oily rag on the bench on fire, and which is going to be in the most likely place to be set on fire..
And petrol...got to be really dumb to be playing around in a closed garage enviroment and having gas going everywhere right?
And If on does one doesnt leave gas soaked rags around right, they stink the house out, let alone the risk....
But yeah some people if they had 1/2 a brain would do stupid things like that....hopefully none of them are in these forums or even own a chev right?

#30 ·
I agree......common sence is certain.Particularly in this group.But factors can sneak up on you.

Even when you are at work.

#26 ·
I love that Chevy emblem in the middle of the floor. I had considered something like that, but didn't want to risk any adhesion problems. Wouldn't have allowed the Mustang in there though, although right next to my Camaro will be a Prius of my wife's haha. But that high 40s MPG is looking pretty good these days.

As for the burnouts in the garage, still not sure why I did that. Created way to much work for me, and after looking at the new floor, I'm not even sure I want to wear shoes in there.

RJ

#31 ·
Looking real nice.

Epoxy is great! But not without its drawbacks.You will have to take care of it.It is scratch resistant not scratch proof.

Slippery when wet.

It is nice to work on......sliding across it is nice.You will not need a creeper anymore.And it will seal away moisture.

#28 ·
How big are those garages in the pics?
I wouldnt even consider as 2x garage smaller than 6.5M W 7.5M D
Had the builder in a couple days ago now looking at a 1x bay plus 2x plus single bay workshop on the end of a new 4 bedroom house.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.