garage heat - Page 6 - Team Camaro Tech
Tools & Shops Shop Rat HQ

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 19, 08:06 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: garage heat

Brian, I have a very similar unit that's probably 15 yrs old I use as a portable.
It does a good job in relatively small areas ~600 sq. ft. with 8 ft. ceilings. I power
it with a 20 amp breaker and have never popped the breaker. My only complaint is
it's quite noisy as the fan speed is high. The good is sitting on the floor puts the heat
where it's needed.
69-Pace likes this.

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 19, 10:49 PM
Team Member
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bills69 View Post
I do have all the sources available for all types of heaters but not sure I want to put holes in roof for venting/chimney etc. It is attached garage an insulated . I do know electric is more costly , maybe best alternative for quick project and just to heat garage is electric ?
I have a 50 X 36 shop with a wall splitting it in half - wood working on one side and steel on the other. I too didn't want to run vents and opted for a Dayton 5000 watt heater hanging from the ceiling about 3' down. I have scissored trusses with a high ceiling but it was 38 degrees outside today and I can bring my shop up to 75 in an hour (which is too hot unless painting). They run on a dedicated 30 amp circuit. They really work surprisingly well and really aren't expensive to run - I don't even notice it on my bill. I think the heaters were $400 each.

Good luck.
69-Pace likes this.

1969 Camaro - a gift from the brother-in-law build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #78 of 79 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 19, 07:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to keithl1967

Just installed the below heater in my newly built pole building/garage.

Garage is 24x24 exterior (about 22.75x22.75 interior), wrappend and vinyl sided, with insulated walls and ceiling.

This little heater warms it up to be comfortable enough to work in T-shirt and jeans on a 20 degree day...

40amp circuit, hardwired...

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...5094_200665094

post #79 of 79 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 19, 08:29 AM
Team Member
Darin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
I've looked at this type of heater a couple times for both my locations. At the house in the woods the power is problematic at best in both summer and winter due to frequent storms, and power can be out for hours or days without much thought. Not too sure my 5000 watt genny would love fueling this if need be for periods of time in the winter.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dr-Infrar...eater/21766011

Anyone actually using it as "portable" or have you all mounted it?

Brian
I use that same heater in My 3 car tandem garage. I changed the plug from the 30amp type it came with to match my 50amp welder outlet.
Works great in my garage. But I am in CA. So on the coldest days it may get bellow 40 outside a couple times a year. Brrrrr.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode