3Likes
  • 2 Post By allanjs
  • 1 Post By HawkX66

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old May 1st, 19, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

air compressor pressure

How long does your shop compressor maintain air pressure? My system is pretty old, not very complicated and I don't leave it plugged in. I've finely gone over it with dish soap and sealed the leaks I could find. It used to loose all the pressure in a couple of days, but now only looses a couple lbs. a day. It's a lot better, but now wondering if it's possible to get it to hold full pressure until I need it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old May 1st, 19, 05:52 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: air compressor pressure

I set my compressor up with a ball valve ~4" out of the tank. It's a safety issue.
If a line blows, coupler gives up, etc. I can quickly kill the line pressure. My tank
and tank fittings don't leak. I just shut the valve off when not needed. Eliminates
any leak down due to hose, fittings, etc.
rogerh and HawkX66 like this.

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 19, 03:21 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Ball valve on mine always gets shut off and it doesn't loose any air. I do it in case I forget to kill the breaker and a hose breaks etc.
bcr45 likes this.

'69 SS396 X66 L34 08D M21 BS
460ci 241/249 @ .050" .625/.625 110 LSA
Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 19, 08:16 AM
Team Member
Darin

If I don’t leave any tools or blow gun plugged in, I know my setup maintains pressure over long weekends when I haven’t used it. Seems like the cheap Home Depot blow guns always leak a little at the trigger.
But normally I always close the ball valve at the tank anway.
All my runs are copper pipe.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 19, 04:34 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Ive always drained mine down at the end of the day...compressor tanks rust from the inside out
jump to 1:45 if you like...

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 19, 06:22 AM
Tech Team
Paul

Check the connector and the end of the hose where you connect your tools. Mine was slow leaking from there, changed it and no more leaks

Paul
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 05:28 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Mine had a check valve where the compressed air enters the tank. When that valve failed on mine the tank would start to decompress as soon as the compressor shut off. Maybe that valve is leaking slowly on yours?

Jim
68 400HO Conv.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 06:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Conv400HO View Post
Mine had a check valve where the compressed air enters the tank. When that valve failed on mine the tank would start to decompress as soon as the compressor shut off. Maybe that valve is leaking slowly on yours?
Normally if that tank check valve fails the compressor wonít start or has a hard time starting. The purpose of the check valve is to keep the pressure off the compressor head so it will start easier. The pressure switch should have a bleed off valve, to bleed the pressure off the compressor head after the compressor stops. If the tank check valve fails the air leaking out of the pressure switch bleed off valve should be very notable.

Roger

1967 Camaro SS/RS 350/295HP Coupe. First and only owner.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 05:28 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerh View Post
Normally if that tank check valve fails the compressor wonít start or has a hard time starting. The purpose of the check valve is to keep the pressure off the compressor head so it will start easier. The pressure switch should have a bleed off valve, to bleed the pressure off the compressor head after the compressor stops. If the tank check valve fails the air leaking out of the pressure switch bleed off valve should be very notable.

Roger
Agreed. When mine leaked it failed fully open so the air bled out fast. Looking at a new check valve, it doesn't appear very high tech. I was only thinking an old one might not seat perfectly due to a scratch, foreign matter, wear, etc. resulting in a minor leak. It was only an idea to look for a leak when one cannot be found elsewhere.

Jim
68 400HO Conv.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old May 17th, 19, 12:14 AM
Senior Tech
Kev

Put a ball valve when the air leaves the tank. Wire a switch in the pressure switch circuit so you can shut things off.
Might want to work on an air system past the tank because what's in the pic isn't good enough to be a joke.

You can search the internet, and figure out the good and bad techniques. Picture where water goes when it cools...
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old May 17th, 19, 04:13 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Ball valve like others said is important. I kill the power and bleed the water out every night. I then bleed the water out again in the morning. Then go down the line and bleed the water separation systems. My system is about I years old, and always has 150 psi in the tank. Quality fittings and quality valves are key in reliability and safety.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old May 17th, 19, 04:59 AM
John

Garage

Ball valve at the tank. Donít want to leave the hose pressurized an risk having it burst a snake all over causing damage

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525SOLD at Mecum 2018
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old May 17th, 19, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

As suggested, install a ball valve to turn off hoses, etc.
Also, clean air filter, and as suggested drain tank removing moisture from tank.
You may need to increase hose/coupling size in getting volume of air.
The smallest orifice in the distribution system determines the volume of air delivered at end of hose.
Also, right angle elbows tumble the flow as air moves through system. Use a radius curve.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode