Team Camaro Tech banner

Backspacing for my Lowered 68..HELP!

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  68Jon 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, I've read all over and can't get it straight.

My 68 Camaro has 3" drop in rear with leaf springs.
4" drop up front.
Now, I want to run 18" rims with as wide of a tire as possible.
4.75 backspacing? or 5" backspacing?
Shocks are in stock location.
I don't understand these tire sizes...I'm use to Mud Grips that are 36"x14"...get my point? I'm LOST !! HELP !!
I NEED TRACTION ! I am going to run Nitto NT01? I think that's right.
I LOVE my NT 555's on my other Muscle Car !
PLEASE EMAIL ME !!
Micahcarver@Yahoo.com

HELP AND THANKS !!:beers:

#2 ·
Biggest front wheel 18x8 - 4.75 to 5.0 backspace. If the top of the tire is inside the the wheel opening I would go with a 225/45-18 tire. You can go wider but if the car is lowered that much I would go conservative on the tire. In the rear a 18x9 or 9.5 with a 5.25 or 5.5 backspace. Again conservative on the tire 255/45-18. You will get different opinions. Each car can be a little differenet also. With the car that low I would play it safe. Do a SEARCH this is constantly beat to death. You can go as big as a 245/40 in the front and a 275/40 in the rear but again with the car that low unless you want rubbing go a little smaller. Good luck with what ever you decide.

#6 ·
Going that low on the front, I also would suggest the 225 tire, but NOT on an 8". Too skinny of a tire for that, I'd run it on a 7" with 4-4.5" of backspace. On the rear, the 18x9 is dead on with a 5.25" backspace. Depending on manufacturer, it should be easy to get wheel sizes in these incriments. For tires, run a 40 series tire. 275/40/18 rear. If you need help, feel free to give me a call. All we do is custom build wheels, and I've owned several camaros.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.