Team Camaro Tech banner

Aluminum fenders???

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Tim Meredith 
#1 ·
I was thinking about weight reduction today. Many people argue against using fiberglass fenders on the street b/c they are rather fragile and can crack. Does anyone make aluminum replacement fenders? They would be more durable and still offer a signifigant weight reduction over steel.

#2 ·
I have a friend who told me about someone who was reproducing Camaro body parts in aluminum. I don't remember any details, it's been a few years sence he mentioned it. I'll see what I can find out.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"

#5 ·
i wanted to do this, but after talking to some people, i decided not too. they told me that if you plan on driving it a lot on the street, the stones will hit against the panels and dent them up. so my second plan was to use a light gauge sheet metal and paint the black or the body color, whcih would hold up a little better. i took a big piece of cardboard and laid out a pattern, with all the cuts, and the angles, and was getting ready to go get the metal, and for some stupid reason, i decided to put back the factory inner fenders. i was having problems deciding how to mount the panels, to the fenders, and also be able to remove them, if needed. i wanted to use dzus clips, but it started to be too much, so i scrapped the idea.
if you have access to a shear, and brake, and bead roller, you can do a nice job.
good luck,
bruce

#6 ·
Unlimited Products makes fiberglas fenders and for those of you not wanting "stars" on the top of fenders, they also sale f'glas inner fenders. The sheet alum trick Bruce mention is good idea, also another one is to either glue styrofoam board on the inside, or fill with "Great Stuff", then after it dries, trim and paint.

Everett 68/350/PG/11.90

#8 ·
What are you doing on this site you. This guy has one of the nices 69RS Prosreet I have seen it is super clean and he drives it everywere. And yes you can get allum. front finders but they are very expensive. Like about $5000.00 a side the guys that do the 409 stuff can do it. But geting them to do it is very very tuff.GM made them for a very short time have seen one set you could buy a nice car for what the guy whated for them. Also they bend very ez. Hope this will help.
Acid dip is a cheep way of doing what you whont to do there is a lot of places that do that.

69RS Z/28

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.