Team Camaro Tech banner

Valves

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  77wolf10.85 
#1 ·
My 67 has single piston calipers on the front off a 70 chevelle. The master is original drum brake type with no proportional valve or any other valves for that matter. The system seems to work just fine. My question is do I need to add valves and change master when I add line-loc?

#4 ·
Thanks rod67ss. Just can't understand why they make proportioning valves and different master cylinders when "one size" seems to work all.

#8 ·
Master cylinders have to have the correct piston diameter to move the fluid volume requirement of the system they are used on. Generally disc has a greater volume requirement than drum. Go to wilwood and other aftermarket brake websites and you can read to your hearts content.

A disc/drum combo should have a proportioning valve. There are even adjustable ones.

Usually the proportioning valves on OEM disc/drum combos also incorporate a residual pressure valve on the drums hydraulics, in order to keep a few pounds pressure on that system because of the heavy springs on the pads. Hope this helps some.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.