Team Camaro Tech banner

69 Clutch

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  69SSRS 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I bought a clutch/brake pedal assmebly for my 69, and it has a clutch safety switch, meaning the car won't start unless the clutch is pushed in. I remeber a freind of mine in college had a 69 with a Saginaw 4-speed that required the clutch to be pushed in before it would start. Is this correct for all 4-speeds, or just the Saginaw, or none of them? The guy who sold me the pedal assembly said it was either out of a 69 Camaro or 69 Nova. I put it on and it fits and works, but my car is an original automatic, so I don't know if this switch is standard. Please help! Thanks.

------------------
69 SSRS Frame-off Resto
81 Z-28 377ci Drag Car

#3 ·
I don't have an original 4 speed car ( all though i'm in the process of putting a 4 speed in a PG '68 ragtop) but... We're talking federal law here. Somewhere around the time nuetral safty switches were mandated in automatic cars, clutch safty switches were mandated in stick shift cars. It's a safety thing, to prevent accidently starting in gear and motoring off unawares. Easy to jumper out, but (as the father of an 11 year old) worth installing or keeping, I think.

#5 ·
I have a incorrect tranny in my 69z, but there was always was a clutch safety switch. I still have the orr. tranny, and i'm pratically positive the switch is stock (3rd owner, all within 5 mi radius) 69 T/A's also had them

#8 ·
Yes, all four speed cars had the starter interrupt switch. And no it does not mount on the top of the steering tube as someone from above stated. It mounts directly to the bracket that supports that pedals and then there is a small piece of metal linkage that runs from a hole in the arm for the cluth pedal to the switch.
I will look again at my car when I get home to be sure but I remember having problems with my car not starting when I pulled my pedals to paint them and then forgot to put the little linkage wire back in.

#9 ·
Go69,

That is exactly how these pedals are. I just wanted to make sure I had the right ones. You know how those guys at the swap meets can be, EVERYTHING fits a 67-69 Camaro!! I've been taken more times than I care to remember, but looks like this one worked out. Thanks for all your help guys!!

------------------
69 SSRS Frame-off Resto
81 Z-28 377ci Drag Car

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.