Team Camaro Tech banner

fuel tank sending unit,repro or AC Delco

5K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  68DaveV 
#1 ·
Anyone have experience with the OER verses AC Delco gas tank sending units?I have heard some bad things about the OER,s butt at 50$ verses 200$ just like to hear some opinions! Thanks guys for any help. Ben

#2 ·
Ben -

Several of us here have had trouble with the $50 overseas repro units not working. The float arm bound up on mine, making it register E all the time. Others have had it stick up and read F all the time.

I used and recommned the Spectra Premium units. I got mine from RockAuto for $80 or so, and it's a much nicer unit and it works. It's Hecho en Mexico, but...

#4 ·
#6 ·
Hi BigBen,

I tried two new repro sending units from Classic Industries, they were made by dii, both did not work properly. They were shouwing 3/4 when the tank was full, and showing Empty when I still had a 1/4 of a tank.

I installed a Spectra Premium Sending Unit P/N FG104C (3/8 Single Line), from NAPA, this spring and it works fine.

Good Luck, Daniel.

#7 · (Edited)
This is shopman, haven't talked in quit awhile. Eric Kammer will you give me the phone no of Rockauto. I am having the same fuel sending problem. Bought a $50.00 one and was no good at all. I have a new fuel gage and when I turn on my switch it goes to Empty. Thank's for any help on a sending unit that will work. I have been fighting this quite awhile. Would like to know how much fuel i have.

Shopman:hurray:

#10 ·
#11 ·
Am I reading this correctly? There are basically 3 manufacturers of the sending unit, Delco, Spectra & OER? The Delco are $200ish, the Spectra around $80 and the OER $40 (but a p.o.s.). Anyone had a problem with the Spectra? I'm guessing the one from carpartsdiscount is the OER? http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/product/FG104C/CamaroFirebirdNova_Fuel_Sending_Unit_38_67696872.html
Dave, this is the one I bought and have had no problem with: http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/product/525760A/CamaroFirebird_Fuel_Sending_Unit_38_V8_6769.html

Same place, slightly different model than your link. I have no idea who the actual mfgr is. I wondered if a lot of the OER bashing of sending units is largely brought on by a basic lack of understanding and frustration with our fuel gauges not working. I mean, look at the zillions of threads in here devoted solely to this single problem. Hell, I don't know :)

#14 ·
I think they're a relatively small company based in southern CA. I believe shipping took about 5 days, which would be about right for coast to coast UPS Grd. I even recall talking to the owner...for a question or something, and he was a real nice guy. I think I was skeptical that their prices were so cheap. I bought a tank from them too for about $85. No regrets here. Same tank everyone else sells for $120 or more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.