Team Camaro Tech banner

mil-spec connector??

2K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  wiskeesour 
#1 ·
I need to make a harness for my new EFI system.

I'd like to use a small waterproof locking connector, 1 side insterted thru a hole in the firewall from the back and bolted on, the engine side with a matching plug for the entire engine harness.

Back in my Navy days, we used a lot of connectors like that. Some even had different sized terminals, lil bitty ones for 20-24 guage wire, and a few bigger ones for 12-14 gauge wire, all in the same housing.

I want one.

I haven't done an accurate count yet, but I think I'll need 6 heavier wires, maybe 14 or 16 gauge, and perhaps 20 or more lil bitty ones. Fuel pressure gauge alone has 6 24 gauge wires...lol.

I started doing some research, and it seems one must be a brain surgeon just to order this stuff... Figuring out which shell size, seal types, contacts ordered separately, blah blah blah. It makes me wish I could spend 5 minutes in my old radar room with a wire cutter, wouldn't take long to find what I need that way.

As usual, when it comes to brain surgery, I turn to you guys. Can anyone make it easy? We have an account at Newarl Electronics, and they have a several lines of this type of connector, but I can make no sense out of thier online catalog.

See less See more
#6 ·
Heck, he could probably borrow me some!

Momar's website is down, will try again tmorrow.

And yes, the amp stuff is the stuff, or something similar... that catalog is near 150 pages though, and everything is separate, connector body's, seals, inserts, contacts, yada yada yada....

They need a kit #.

#7 ·
#8 ·
I already got you one Jim. Just give me some specifics and Ill dig thru my consumables...
round? square? self locking? quick-disconnect? fuel proof?
Let me know...

#10 ·
Excellent, Harley!

I"m trying to avoid the Weatherpacks, thier just sooo damned huge. A Milspec connector can pack 30 5 amp terminals into a 1" circle, similar weatherpack would by 2x3"

Harley, I need a set, panel mount receptacle and twist lock plug. Round hole is easier to make, but I'm not that fussy, I will manage. Weatherproof. I counted 32 wires, appears all are 16-18 gauge, but did not make certain they all had to pass through the firewall. A few extras would be nice if possible.

Lemme know.

#12 ·
#13 ·
mil-c-38999 series II KJ

Type that in google images, I think I saw a few of those. Wont know til I get to work tomm...

#14 ·
yea Harley, just like that.

Need the plug and receptacle shells with inserts, and enough male and female contacts to be able to screw a few up.

Something in the neighborhood of 32-36 pin, for 16-18 guage wire.

Some reasonable idea of where and what to get to remove the pins (if I screw any up...lol) would be handy too.

Thanks.

#15 ·
yea Harley, just like that.

Need the plug and receptacle shells with inserts, and enough male and female contacts to be able to screw a few up.

Something in the neighborhood of 32-36 pin, for 16-18 guage wire.

Some reasonable idea of where and what to get to remove the pins (if I screw any up...lol) would be handy too.

Thanks.
How about 'insertion' and 'removal' tools for 'pin' type cannon plugs? Theyre green and white in color for 16-18 gauge.

Sorry, had to b a smart a$$. :D
Ill look thru my junk and see if I got sum close to that with that many pins. Give me a bit. wont know til tomm....at work.
I love to help, just makes my day to assist someone. Rather do that than eat.

#16 ·
Harley's on the right track. Plastic extractor/installer tool comes with connector.
Use alcohol for lubricate of tool into rubber insert.
Don't forget the rubber bushing for the backshell cable clamp, it may or may nopt come with backshell.
You might think about splitting the power terminals from the smaller terminals.
The knock sensor, if equipped, should be its own connector and shielded.

#17 ·
I think the same connector with a coaxial inserts would be OK for the knock sensor it would be in the center of the cannon plug....
Im still diggin Jim.
Someones been in my consumables..

#19 ·
I have on emore spot to dig thru tomm but Ill have to be sneaky. That box belongs to supply.
Ill find one...Now that im thinkin about it, supply would laugh if they found a MAF in there system ordering 3 of those CP's for a Camaro.
SK2 would probably know EXACTLY who to come chew out. LMAO!!
Ill let you know...:D
Glad to help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.