Team Camaro Tech banner

78 Camaro 6 Cylinder

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  chev64 
#1 ·
We have a 78 Camaro with a six cylinder 250 in it. It had no emissions on it when we got it and the EGR valve was siezed. I've replaced all of the emissions parts (vacuum lines, EGR, TCS etc). I also replaced the control module, cap, rotor, plugs and the carb.The problem I am now having is that it will not come into the correct timing range or the proper RPM. When I remove the PCV hose, the engine will settle in at an acceptable RPM (around 650) but when I reattach the hose, she wants to bog down and almost stall out. When this happens I get a pretty good fuel odor out of the carb. The timing is way out of top dead center and with the vacuum line to the distributor(HEI) disconnected it still will not come close to what the book calls for, as a matter of fact the closer I get to spec the lousier she runs. I realize that it is not a performance car, but it looks good and it is my sons first car, so any help you can provide is appreciated.

#2 ·
Joe

Was the distibutor removed at some point? Sounds like maybe it's a few teeth off. I would bring it up to TDC on the #1 cylinder and make sure the rotor is pointing at the #1 plug on the cap. If not, remove the dist. and re-install in the proper location.

Mark

#3 ·
Mark,
You must be reading my mind, I just got off the phone with a friend of mine who asked the same thing. Was the distributor removed at some point? I don't know but I will take you advice and give it a shot. I'll get back when I complete the job. Thanks
Joe

#5 ·
to add a little more fuel to the fire, maybe the balancer has slipped and the timing mark is off. Use a vacuum guage and set the timing with the guage pointing between 15-18 inches of vacuum and see how it runs then..

------------------
Leo Paugh
MCC #017
www.clark.net/pub/chevelle/mcc.htm
There are no strangers here, only friends you haven't met.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.