Team Camaro Tech banner

Engine oil level not reading on dipstick

11K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  JohnZ 
#1 ·
I have just purchased a 69 camaro with a Ramjet 350 crate engine and just changed the oil/filter. I didn't check the oil level prior but when I replaced the oil I put in about 5.7 or so quarts of 5-30. I didn't get any oil reading on the dipstick that is attached. When I drained the old oil out It overfilled a 5 quart jug, over the lid plus some (knowing that about 5.5 quarts fit in the jug).

Doesn't a Ramjet 350 take 5 quarts not including the filter? Is there any other way to know how much oil is ok? I do have good oil pressure. I'm not sure if the oil light even works or is hooked up. Seems to run ok

But, I am not reading any oil level on the dipstick. Am I crazy? :)

#4 ·
I believe the Ramjet 350 is still supplied with the 6-Qrt truck/marine pan as the other units it's based on, could be wrong.
Not sure if that pan could/would into a F-body frame or not, never tried.

GMP advises installers to check pan fit and change as necessary for each application, for that reason GMP does not supply the unit with a Dip Stick (or tube).
They give you a choice of two (2) types depending on pan they suggest you may need.
For the original 'truck' pan (#10242245);
Stick = #1019942
Tube = #12552920
For the smaller ZZ4 type (#12528916) pans;
Stick = #12551144
Tube = not in my notes, and most likely mute as your pan is bigger - but can probably find it if needed ...

(all this info is in the original documents supplied with the unit)

So I imagine someone just found a stick and it's wrong ;)

#7 ·
That is the current truck/marine pan used by GMP on many of the mild performance based engines.
So it should be @ 6qrts plus the filter capacity ...

I would bet the dip-stick is wrong and to short to detect level at this point.
I would order the correct parts listed by GMP for that pan set-up and take another run at.
Easy enough to drain the present oil out and measure, then reuse if you want to be sure the replacement dip-stick is now correct.
Running to much oil can be just as bad in the long run as to much ...

I am amazed the front doesn't hit the crossmember :yes:

#9 ·
It would completely make sense that it is a 6 quart pan (not incluiding filter) since the dipstick isn't reading anything at 5.7 quarts. I simply looked at the specs online and cut and paste them below. Here it says 5 quart and that's why I thought 5.7 quarts would be enough. Maybe the dipstick is actually ok but simply not enough oil yet to read. Is there any way to see a marking or part number on the oil pain that would indicate 6 quarts?

RAMJET 350 Engine Specifications:
Displacement: 350 cubic inches
Bore x Stroke: 4.00 inch x 3.48 inch
Compression 9.4:1
Block: Cast iron, two-bolt main caps
Cylinder Head: Cast iron, Vortec
Valve Diameter (Intake/Exhaust): 1.94"/1.50"
Chamber Volume: 63cc
Crankshaft: Cast iron, 1 piece rear seal
Connecting Rods: Forged, powdered metal, 3/8" bolts
Pistons: Cast aluminum
Rings Top Moly, Second Iron
Camshaft: Hydraulic roller tappet
Lift: .460" intake, .481" exhaust
Duration: 196° intake, 205° exhaust @.050" tappet lift
Centerline: 104° ATDC intake, 109° BTDC exhaust
Rocker Arm Ratio: 1.6:1, roller tip
Timing Chain: Single roller design
Oil Pan: 5 quart excluding oil filter
Oil Pressure (Normal): 6 psig @ 1000 RPM
18 psig @ 2000 RPM
24 psig @ 4000 RPM
Recommended Oil: 5W30
Oil Filter: AC Delco part # - PF1218
Valve Lash: 1/8 Turn Past 0 Lash
Fuel: Premium unleaded - 92 (R+M/2)
Maximum Engine Speed: 5600 RPM
Spark Timing: Initial: 10° Before Top Dead Center
Spark Plugs: AC Delco part # MR43LTS
Spark Plug Gap: 0.040"
Firing Order: 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

#10 ·
Keep in mind the markings on the dipstick. If you have the correct dipstick for the pan then typically the "Full" mark is a little over 2 quarts up on the stick. The "Add" mark is one quart low and if the oil is just on the tip of the stick you are about 2 quarts low.

It really sounds like you have the wrong dipstick or tube... Is the car on level ground? Did you end up using a 4 quart jug of oil thinking it's 5 quarts? Sorry, gotta ask! Sometimes it's that easy of a mistake...

#13 ·
So let me get this straight - we're going to great lengths to discuss a $100 oil pan - that may or may not be 5 or 6 qrts - on a $5K engine when a $50 stick & tube will tell us the actual oil level :confused:

If you put @6 qrts in already and it is not showing some level, then it's the wrong stick ;)
And a double-check of my records and the actual GMP build sheet for that assembly shows the 6-qrt pan is used as standard - same as the truck/marine base builds. A quick check of the pump pick-up and other assembly numbers in the same info confirms that pan type.
The picture you posted is also that pan ...

The only reason I really replied is that I 'typo'd' the actual dip stick number - it's #10190942 - sorry about that.

#14 ·
the engine I bought did not have the correct dip stick.
the engine came with oil and I was told that it was the correct amount. 7 qts.
when I checked the oil it was only about a 1/4" on the stick.
I was told to mark the stick THAT IT WAS THE PROPER AMOUNT OF OIL. again 7 qts.
I asked why not the proper stick and I was told it would cause turbulence in the pan

#17 ·
the engine I bought did not have the correct dip stick. ...
I asked why not the proper stick and I was told it would cause turbulence in the pan
l:) - yeah, you should see how fast those suckers spin at high RPM's :D

Makes me want to go out and cut all mine back @1" :thumbsup:

#16 ·
As John says (I think), if you put six quarts in the pan and one more for the filter, you've seven quarts in the engine. If it doesn't show on the stick, change the stick. Whew.

#18 ·
Are you sure the stick is going into the pan? I've seen situations where the stick gets diverted by a windage tray and never goes through to the pan.

#22 ·
My aftermarket Lokar dipstick once had the dipstick "tube" get pulled out of the block (was still physically held to engine with header bolt), so when I inserted the dipstick, it actually went right thru the tube, and poked into open air down next to the header. With poor lighting and engine compartment shadows, it was very difficult to see what had happened at first. It sure got my attention though.... had just done an oil change, filled it close, and when checking the dipstick saw I had nothing being shown in the pan. Frustrating for a few minutes!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.