Team Camaro Tech banner

Fuel Gauge Woes

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  69-Pace 
#1 ·
For many many years, my console mounted fuel gauge has been wrong. Since I am the primary driver, I know that 1/4 means EMPTY. It left my 17 year old stranded today, out of gas.....I forgot to tell him this little gremin exists.

What could be causing this? This is a small block true SS with console gauges (tach and clock occupy the dash). The low fuel light never comes on because the gauge never gets below 1/4. I have never taken the tank down but looks like I may have to if everyone thinks it is the float/gauge.

All wires, including the ground have been traced and checked.

Any suggestions on checking the float without pulling the tank?

Thanks for reading!

Craig

#3 ·
Craig post your findings once you finish the trouble shooter. if you can get the gauge to swing full beyond empty and full beyond full the gauge is viable. If true than I would suspect your resistor is damaged. run a meter across the resistor card once removed from the posts.

#4 ·
I've never worked on an issue with the resistor on the back of the gauge. Wouldn't a bad resistor there affect the readings of the test from the tank preventing full swing from below empty to past full in the troubleshooter?

I would put an ohmmeter on the tank wires at 1/4 tank gauge reading and see what the resistance is. I'm inclined to think the problem is in the tank.

Jeff

#5 ·
The full swing test just test the gauges coils ability to tell a fault in the electrical circuit - ground no ground.

The resistor is across the sender pole of the gauge so if the gauge swings then the process of elimination will determine if the sender loop is responsible, especially after the Ohm's readings are taken and if 50 Ohms makes it to the gauge but the gauge sees less or more then the resistor which was calibrated when the gauge was wound maybe responsible.

The troubleshooter takes a while but cover 99% of the common issues with these gauges and senders.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.