Team Camaro Tech banner

Hello 69 LS swap just starting

6K views 36 replies 9 participants last post by  jet_airman 
#1 ·
I've got a lot of questions. I found a lot of answers here but I'll need some help along the way.

69 Camaro 307/TH350 pulled out. Done

Going with LS3 beefed up 4L65/70e or 4L80e

1) Does the 4L80e fit? Whos done it and what are the problems getting it in. I don't want to cut the tunnel.

2) What flexplate do I use for each? Are they different? Is the 4L80e flexplate dished and require a spacer/adapter?

More questions to come, THX in advance.
I posted another thread yesterday but cant find it or it never went up. Im new at this
Also whas the trick to get pics to upload. ugh

#3 ·
You can’t post pics without a paid membership or by using a third party hosting site.

4L80E usually requires floor mods. Extent is highly dependent on the engine mounts you use.

Don

#6 ·
Im going with the lsx conversion plates. They're adjustable to 4 different positions (forward) and the BRP SureFit transmission mount. its adjustable also. Do you think the 4L80e will fit? What problems or clearance problems will I run into? If its a pain I can just as easily go with a 4L65/70e
thanks

#7 ·
Hello neighbor, I live in Tomball off of Louetta Road.

In most cases the 4L80 will require you to cut the floor pan hump. Otherwise your driveline angles will be off.

Considering that you are replacing the engine with a newer style LS and electronic transmission this is not a big deal. There are kits that will cover the hole you will make in your floor pan to make the job easier.

This one is for a manual transmission but it will give you an idea on how to attack the problem.
https://www.speedtechperformance.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=264/category_id=188/mode=prod/prd264.htm

#8 ·
Have you done the LS swap? I think I'm just going to go with the beefed up 4L60/70e
I still haven't ordered the engine or transmission

Whats everyone think would be better for my application (cruising & road trips)
1. the blueprint 376/530hp or $6900
2. the hot cam 376/495hp $7700

Who should I contact for the transmission any have a go to shop or store? built or off the shelf.

What flexplate do I order for this application?

#9 ·
I like the GM Performance LS3/480. $7700 with free ship from Jegs. Amd you get a $250 rebate fro GMP

https://www.jegs.com/rebates/chevyperformance/809-chevy-holeshot-oct.pdf

I don't know if Blueprint ships for free.

The Blueprint controller is the GMP controller that sells on Jegs for $150 less than Blueprint.

I used Blueprint engines in 2 builds a 383 stroker and a SBC 406 without any complaints

The GMP LS engines come with the flex plate

#10 ·
John,
The blueprint comes with the oil pan & dipstick but no headers/exhaust manifold and is cheaper. only issue is I may have to swap the oil pan anyhow as I have read the gm swap pan hangs below the crossmember.
comments???

The jegs engine you have to purchase an new pan & dipstick

As far as the controllers I was going to use PSI where they build a harness for your setup.
comments???

anyone with a answer for the flexplate? is it standard for 4L70e application and dished for the 4L80e application
comments???

#11 ·
You will need the Holley 302 pan. Dipstick is the same. I don't like they way the GMs stick up so I use a Lokar Dipstick. The GM Muscle pan I believe is the Hummer Pan which does hang low. Blueprint may change the pan for some $.

You can sell the GMP pan and Exhaust manifolds. May not get a lot for them but every little bit helps.

PSI is good. $1400 for auto trans. I do like their smaller fuse/relay box and the Corvette pedal. Is is NOT a Custom fit harness. THIS IS A USED GM FACTORY E67 ECM

Don't know about the differences if any in the flex plates.

#12 ·
Question on motor mounts.
I ordered the lsx conversion plates. Got the motor mounts.
Do I have to remove the stock engine mounting brackets on the subframe and replace with new conversion mounts for the correct height / angle for the LS376 / 4L60/65e or
Can I just mount it up directly using the existing subframe brackets?

#15 ·
The plates you have ICT bolt on the block and allow you to move position the LS in the stock position or further forward or back.

I believe the frame towers you have are tall/narrow mount style with the 307.

I would use the short/wide that was used on the 302/350 to position the engine lower.

You need to verify what you have as who know for sure after 50 years.

#22 ·
I use Imageshack. Works great! 4 clicks.

#21 ·
You’ll need a paid membership to post pics. Or a third party hosting site.

Don

#23 ·
For what it's worth I purchased my setup from Turnkey engines and it's essentially a 4 wire hookup. They will customize your harness depending on where you want to locate the ECM and my set up included headers, motor mounts, starter, fuel system, a flywheel instead of the flex plate and lots of bits and pieces necessary to finish like wire connectors for dual fans, header bolts and other miscellaneous parts.

LS3 6.2L 480 HP Turn Key Engine Assembly - Street - Turn Key Engine Supply

I liked the fact most was figured out for me as I was new to all this.

#25 ·
Stephen, a third party hosting site is really the only way to go IMO....

Brett..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.