Team Camaro Tech banner

69 Z28 VALUE?

30K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  RodgerMyers 
#1 ·
What is a 69 Z28 x77 worth with 15k original,
all original except has 327 engine, 302 motor-long gone? Solid car/body -original dark green paint/needs paint-never repainted,
original nice black interior. Shame about engine.Car was in storage for 25 years.
Is the car worth 20k?
Ron

#2 ·
I don't post here often and I am no expert on price by any stretch because there are a lot of factors that go into value and without putting our eyeballs on the car it can be difficult. But I think a 69 Z/28 without a 302 value depreciates signifcantly. After all, is it really a Z/28 without the 302?? That is what made this car (67-69) unique amongst its peers. A solid small block 69 Camaro with Z/28 options that needs a paint job...20K seems high. Quality paint is expensive and then to find a 302 engine to put in it to bring it too its natural born herritage & now you are pushing 25-30K which if you look hard you can probably find one done already for that kind of money.

With value being as it is "in the eye of the beholder" (what someone is willing to pay) someone will probably pay 20K for that car as prices seem to be skyrocketing based on the BJ Auction over the weekend. But I don't think I would pay 20K for it based on the description

Just my $.02

Robert Stacho

------------------
67 SS 396 Chevelle 350HP 4speed
70 SS 396 Chevelle 350HP 4speed
68 RS Z/28 302 350+HP? 4speed

[This message has been edited by Robert Stacho (edited 01-21-2002).]

#3 ·
My experience out here on the West Coast is that is $20K would be near twice its value. You should be able to find a '69 Z/28 with good paint and a non #'s matching 302 for close to $20K. Just my opinion.

------------------
1969 RS-Z/28: Matching #'s DZ302, M20, 3.73, Tuxedo Black, Deluxe Black Interior, Factory Tach, Clock and Console Gauges, PS, Rear Defrost, AM/FM, Spoilers, ZL2 Special Ducted Hood.

1969 SS: Matching # 350/300, M20 4-spd, 3.55 12-bolt posi, Daytona Yellow, Black Houndstooth, Factory Gauges, Spoilers, etc.

'85 Z/28: Rare Factory Yellow, 355 TPI, wifes car, lots of hot rod stuff, she will blow your doors off so don't mess with her!

1969 Z/28: Ralley Green, black standard interior, DZ302, M21, 3.73 posi, comfort grip steering wheel, factory gauges, spoilers, etc. FOR SALE?

#4 ·
I agree, I sold a beautiful NOM Z28 which we had for 12 years last spring for $24000. Would have been $32000 with matching motor. Number matching cars are bringing a premium while NOM are discounted heavily in '69 Z's. Sounds like you would be into a NOM car pushing $28-$30k.

#5 ·
I would have to question why a car with supposedly only 15K original miles does not have the original motor in it? Could,or would someone really have blown up the 302 in 15K miles of driving a brand-new(at the time) car? I'd look long and hard at the mileage.

------------------
HDZ/28

#6 ·
it is possible to blow up a brand new engine in 15k miles. my dad did it. back in 69, when he got out of the army, he bought a brand new 69 Z28. he blew up 3 motors in 2 months and got rid of it. he didn't really like the way the car had no torque down low, so he had to wind it out all the time. he might have overdone it a bit, i guess.after he got rid of that, he built a 30 Ford 5 window street rod with a big Buick in it. that had torque, and in the 14 years until he died, he never blew a motor in that.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik

#7 ·
Guys,
The reason the original engine is gone is exactly that-- it blew up and was replaced by the 327 engine all in the first few years of it's life.
I once bought a 72 Heavy Chevy Chevelle from a group of owners--this car never left the same block thru 3 owners,originally owned by an old time Chevy mechanic but yet somewhere it went in for an engine rebuild and the block got swapped.It wasn't until I ran the all the numbers on the motor did I find out that it had a 1969 396/375 bored out to 402c.i.
These guys swore up and down it had to have the original 402 in it. What made it more difficult was that they decked the block and wiped the numbers off the front pad.
Back then people did not pay attention to matching numbers they way it is now!
I appreciate all of your input.
Thanks,
Ron

#8 ·
Hey Ron, is thisZ28 you're asking about located in NJ? As for the engine, is it a replacement short block with the original parts on it or a completely different engine? I've seen some cars in the area that are replacement or over the counter short blocks with the rest of the original DZ parts put onto them and they look all original.

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car(supercharged) & driven daily, Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes, cross-ram & GM fiberglass hood, TI setup, heater and radio delete, being restored

#10 ·
He hasn't been around for a while on this message board. His last post was in June of 2007. You might try looking him up in a phone book, but he might only have a cell phone.

#11 ·
Prices must be cheap on the left coast. I sold a nothing matching 69 frame on resto for $22K. Then I bought a rolling chassis with all body work and paint, no interior and no drivetrain x44 color change car for $6500 and guys were all over it like a cheap suit and have been offered $10K. Well I am almost done with the new Silver SS clone with a 454 4 speed, AC, all new interior . . . .now what is that worth????

#12 ·
i see on the internet these companies that specialize in first gen restores and the sell restored shells rollers for 22-25 thousand ? i dont know how they do it ? and dynacorn shells 15 thousand + ship so if you go by those #s if your car is truely solid and rolling with a drivetrain than you would think it would be worth at least that or more ? what do you guys think ? who buys these shells for such prices ? reminds me of the episode of wrecks to riches 6000 in sheetmetal ? my car needed way more metal than that one and i only spent 3000 in metal

#14 ·
Hi , Nice forum .

This thread has my interest because I am buying a 69 Camaro Z-28 DZ car this coming week . I wish i could afford to keep it , but can't . It is stock paint with a little crud ( 1/2 x 3" ) over the rear tires & a couple pin holes in the front left fender . Back of drivers seat needs repair as thread has let loose . 1 owner car . Rear spoliler , Ram air option . Stock wheels & tires . Gauges in front of shifter . Only mods is a hood lock ( key switch under dash ) & speakers in the foot area ( not sure if that is factory or aftermarket ) & a Hurst T-handle . Last ran 8 years ago . Does the car sound like a " survivor " class car ? Any opinions on value ? I am paying alot for it & it will be for sale later this week . It has the factory owners manual in the glove box with data plate etc .

Thanks in advance for any advice , Rodger

#16 ·
I understand that .It snowed here & that is delaying getting it . I'll take some pics & post the firwall data when i recieve the car . I only wrote down the vin # . Norway car made around July . I have been digging in to find out how to make sure it is a factory DZ car . Castings on top of the heads etc . Interesting .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.