Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dumb question but I saw a 02 SS and a 02 Z/28 whats the difference between the these cars? Back in the good old days it was alot but now?? :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
The ss has 275 tires, I think 20 hp more from the ram air hood and performance exhaust system, bilstein shocks(z28 has decarbon shocks), and larger sway bars. I believe you could also get a detroit locker in the SS as well. I think the brakes were the same on both cars, but I'm not sure.

·
Retired
26,947 Posts
Basically all 4th gen SS cars start as a Z28. As mentioned they get wheels and tires (275/40/17's with Z rated rubber except for the convertibles va 16's), upgraded suspensions (not just shocks it's a complete package), a functional ram air hood with air box and special exhaust. You also get a special Torsion differential (no Z28 or SS came with a detroit locker). Then there is the badging and rear spoiler treatment to round out a basic SS.

From there you have a list of other performance options to choose from. The SS maintained a small HP advantage over the Z, in '96 I believe the Z was 285hp and the SS (only year it was the "Z28SS") was 315hp. By '02 I believe the Z was 315 or 320 and the SS was 345hp.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
every SS i've ever seen has had what looked like 500 pounds of excess weight in the form of leather, t-tops and the like.
then there was all the stickers.
but i did like the looks of the hood and wheels, tho. but the way the "ram air" setup routed the air, i don't think it helped very much.
how much faster is an SS compared to a regular Z? would a stripped out Z (i know- hard to impossible to find- but there's gotta be a few out there) be about as fast as an "average" SS?

·
Retired
26,947 Posts
Derrik - Most 4th gen Z28's came with leather and t-tops and power windows, I doubt if there is more than 100lbs difference in a non-t-top, cloth seat, crank windowed Z28 and an SS. The Z28 has the same physical engine as the SS and the power is difference in the two is breathing. A Z28 with an aftermarket air intake and exhaust should run side by side with an SS. Wheel's, tires and gears would be the other deciding factors.

·
Registered
32 Posts
A Z28 and a stock SS will run damn near side by side with a minimal edge to the SS. If you were racing the two it would be more of a comparison of driver skill. Also if either car has a 6-speed he will have an advantage in the race over the automatic 4 speed assuming both drivers are of equal skill.

·
Registered
46 Posts
02 Z's came rated with 310hp and the SS with 325..
We changed the air lid and added headers and catback exhaust and Dynoed 335 to the wheels with an A4 tranny on our 02 Z... the Z is a bit lighter but not much... basically they are very equal performance wise

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
the SS is mostly a rims/stickers/hood scoop package.
yes, it had better exhaust- but that was also an option on the regular Z.
same with the hurst shifter and better shocks and springs.
i know, because i kind of tried to custom order a Z with only the "go fast" options, and all that stuff was available.
in a nutshell, you could get an 02 Z with all the SS stuff except the graphics and hood scoop if you wanted it, and pay about $7k less than if you got the SS package.
i think the car i "built" on the computer at the dealer came up to $26k or something like that. cloth seats, am/fm casette (or maybe a cd player, can't remember), 6 speed, Hurst shifter, bigger tires and brakes, and better exhaust.
they wouldn't let me delte the AC, radio, and sound deadener, tho. the salesman looked at me like i was insane when i asked about that...

·
Retired
26,947 Posts
I believe you're confusing the dealer ordering the SS parts and installing them on a Z28 (suspension and exhaust etc) with ordering one from the factory with the added options... That's what was going on around here anyway.

All in all kind of a mute point since they are all used cars now. Typically you can find a 4th gen SS for just a small amount more than a Z28. Both have enough power to get you in trouble ;)

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
nope- all the stuff i looked into was regular production options with codes to be installed at the factory.
and it really isn't a moot point now- say 20 or 25 years down the road and someone is looking for an 02 Camaro like they wanted when they were 16 and the cars were brand new- but he still can't afford the "good" cars like the SS or whatever because they've all been used up or bought by rich guys who just want an "old car" like their buddies because they are good investments that get put in heated garages and only brought out for old car shows.
but they find a low mileage, one owner survivor 02 Z28 with all sorts of odd stuff on it- bigger wheels, brakes, exhaust, and a better shifter. sure enough- according to the build sticker- all this stuff was installed at the factory. that would kind of make it an oddball car- kind of like finding a 69 SS396 Camaro with a bench seat and a column shifter or something weird like that. not necessarily worht more than any other car, but definitely unique.

·
10,164 Posts
I thought you could get a 1LE with AC delete in 02?

We have an 02SS with the Standard SS package fresh air hood, larger Donaldson air cleaner, 17" wheels, power steering cooler, (they splashed PS fluid all over when they installed that), upgraded springs and shocks, Torson diff. There are some SS badges and floor mats, don't remember if the mats are extra.

The "optional" SSequipment we got was just the muffler which comes with a special rear facia. We searched a lot for one without a T top.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts