Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a set of aluminum "074" heads that have a casting date of 10-30-1973. The only other numbers that are on the head are 1234 5678 and 7304. I am pretty sure that the year is 73 and not 70. What might these heads have come on? Are they replacement heads? and are they a good head like the original 074's? Any advice is appreciated....Jon:beers:

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Round exhaust or D exhaust?They were very popular over the counter heads back in the day Almost all bigblock racers ran them.Sold for something like $125 each complete over the counter back then.They arent worth a real lot to a restorer,a clone guy might want them because they look identical to the early heads,and dates wouldnt be important to him.They flow similar to the later 990 heads,and arent a bad set of heads even for bracket racing use as long as they arent hogged to death.Edelbrock now makes an NHRA legal replacement head for those that run that combo in stock and super stock,so racers no longer pay the big bucks for virgin old heads since the new heads are actually tweaked to be a little better.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Yep, those are mine. Bought them new, over the counter in 1974. Open chamber, round ports, (D's came out two months later) complete. With 7/16th push rods and chrome tipped rockers, they were $650 or so. Hey! Those were 1974 dollars. Not cheap! And my friend sold them to me at dealer cost.
Still run ALL of the same components, even the valve locks. Not a single failure. Can't say that for my closed chamber aluminum heads.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Agree, the aftermarket has made these heads less desirable, unless they're correctly coded for a restoration.

Since you have them, clean 'em up and use 'em. They worked pretty good on ZL-1's, L-88's, and LS-6's. That's a pretty good endorsement.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
And the Winters snow flake is kinda cool, especially after doing a wheelie and bench racing in the pits.:hurray:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Guys, These are D ports. I got them on a motor in a car I bought just to sell. The car is gone but I kept the motor. Hopefully they will work ok on a 671 super charged 454 but I guess there is only one way to find out. Thanks again for the info...Jon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts