Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from the auto show and I have to tell you, pictures of this car is one thing but in person this is one sweet ride. Even the wife was impressed and she is a Euro fan!

She wanted to know why the 5th Camaro wasn't "true to it's roots". I just shrugged and said "Call Lutz and ask that question".

All IMHO of course and coming from a guy who bleeds Bow Tie.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Just got back from the auto show and I have to tell you, pictures of this car is one thing but in person this is one sweet ride. Even the wife was impressed and she is a Euro fan!

She wanted to know why the 5th Camaro wasn't "true to it's roots". I just shrugged and said "Call Lutz and ask that question".

All IMHO of course and coming from a guy who bleeds Bow Tie.
Agree whole heartily!

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Funk I couldn't agree more. Been bowtie fan for 30 years. I have zero interest in the new Camaro. I'm excited over the powertrain, but that's it. I'm not sure what it is suppose to remind us of. The Challenger and the Mustang I'd take either one over what the General is about to offer us.

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
I keep going to the Mopar site to see when I can order one.. all they say is it will be intro'd in 08 as an 08 model...... so expect early 2008.. anyone hear different?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
The Challenger is a limited production vehicle, not even half as many Camaros or Mustangs that will be producted. So far I've heard/read they plan to produce only around 30K units a year.

The market for a cookie cutter retro-designed car is VERY limited, much smaller than the Camaro/Mustang market is aiming at. Look at the sales numbers Ford had on the Mustang since 2005? For quite a stretch, they could not build them fast enough.

Just when Ford plans to redesign the Mustang, the Camaro will be in showrooms right next to it. The Camaro design will be right in line with the Mustang styling IMO.

For those who think the new Camaro won't sell, I'd bet you are in the minority :cool:

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Love the new Challenger. LOOKS GREAT!
I thought that Ford did great job on the Mustang , and now Mopar answers with the Challenger...both fitting tributes to their grandfather cars.

The new Camaro, however, looks too much like the new Cadillac for me, a lame attempt in my opinion. Sad to say I would buy either of the two other cars before a new camaro.

·
Premium Member
9,505 Posts
"When and where will it be built? “DCAutoWorker” wrote that customers cars would be built starting in April 2008, with a 30-day hold to get some supplies built and perhaps handle any last-minute issues without a recall; hence it would be given to dealers in May 2008 as a 2008 model (in the near past, Chrysler would have called that a 2009). Brampton has not yet been officially named as its home, but the three-week model changeover is longer and later than normal."

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
No one said the Camaro won't sell. Just said it's a shame GM didn't produce a car with a little more nostalgia. I wouldn't be so quick to group the Camaro with the Mustang. The Mustang looks like a Mustang.

As far as the Camaro looking like a Cadi, well it was based on the Zeta platform wasn't it. So it's not a coincidence.

It's all subjective anyway. I just think the new Camaro is butt ugly that's all. It will have the advantage in the hardware department though.

Minority, yes. I understand many are ready for a change and will welcome anything that brings back the nameplate and the best hardware along with it.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
You are probably right, most didn't like the second gen when it came out and many consider it the best looking now. I'm sure it will grow on us and me. I just wish they would've followed Ford's lead and came up with something that reminds me of a first gen when I look at it. Nothing wrong with wiping the slate clean and starting over like they did though. Some of us were just hoping it would be Chevys answer to what Ford did.

Don't want to inflame anyone, it is all subjective. I don't like the look of it. But you've got to remember having had a handful of both I'll take a 68 Camaros over 69 Camaros, yes without vent windows! So what's that say? Maybe I'm just different.

The "gift wrapping" on the outside doesn't matter because what's under the hood is going to send Ford and Chrysler back to the drawing boards! It's just nice that GM is offering something up for us.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Just to clarify my statement above.....

"I'd consider buying a new camaro if it was priced right"

There is no way that that they'll price it at say 25k or less for a loaded car with a V8, so I won't be buying one....:D

If I'm going to spend north of 30k it would be on the challenger....that won't happen either, so I guess I'm stuck with my two 67's.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Yeah I think it's interesting to read people's opinion on the 5th Gen. I personally love it, I mean if I designed it persoanlly I'd make a couple changes - but that could be said for the first gen's also.

What I think is especially interesting is the overwhelming response to the Challenger and the indifference about the Camaro from people that are dyed in the wool Camaro fans. Don't get me wrong, I think the Challenger concept is a cool looking car - but not as cool as the new Camaro IMO. And people say they prefer the Mopar because it was a more true retro - Thankfully though in my opinion it doesn't look too much like the original. Now THAT was an ugly car!

·
Premium Member
7,184 Posts
Just to clarify my statement above.....

"I'd consider buying a new camaro if it was priced right"

There is no way that that they'll price it at say 25k or less for a loaded car with a V8, so I won't be buying one....:D

If I'm going to spend north of 30k it would be on the challenger....that won't happen either, so I guess I'm stuck with my two 67's.
The price is suppose to be in-line with the current Mustang GT-aprox $25K.

The demise of the Camaro/Firebird was the fact that the SS or TA were $5K more than the Mustang GT at the time. Sales were going Ford's way and GM droppe the car line.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
You are probably right, most didn't like the second gen when it came out and many consider it the best looking now. I'm sure it will grow on us and me. I just wish they would've followed Ford's lead and came up with something that reminds me of a first gen when I look at it. Nothing wrong with wiping the slate clean and starting over like they did though. Some of us were just hoping it would be Chevys answer to what Ford did.

Don't want to inflame anyone, it is all subjective. I don't like the look of it. But you've got to remember having had a handful of both I'll take a 68 Camaros over 69 Camaros, yes without vent windows! So what's that say? Maybe I'm just different.

The "gift wrapping" on the outside doesn't matter because what's under the hood is going to send Ford and Chrysler back to the drawing boards! It's just nice that GM is offering something up for us.
The 68 Camaro is a good looking Camaro my brother has one and i have a 69. I like all the 1st. generation Camaros. :beers:

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
The price is suppose to be in-line with the current Mustang GT-aprox $25K.

The demise of the Camaro/Firebird was the fact that the SS or TA were $5K more than the Mustang GT at the time. Sales were going Ford's way and GM droppe the car line.
Uh oh....if that's true and I can get a loaded V8 camaro for 25k, the wifes gonna be pretty pissed when I bring one home.....:yes: :thumbsup:

P.S. When are they supposed to be out?

·
Registered
519 Posts
The last 10 years of Camaro production it had superior hardware to the Mustang (Z28 vs GT). If the Camaro is going to stay it needs better styling and the ability to appeal to the masses.

For example, one styling cue that the 2nd gen seemed to influence through the 4th gen is huge doors that are a bitch to get in and out of in a parking space.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts