Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Need your feedback!

I just purchased a front sway bar. I have two options for end links. The ones that came with the swaybar or a set of energy suspension end links. I noticed the Energy Suspension end links are longer and have a longer spacer than the ones that originally came with the sway bar. Energy suspension has a 2-1/2" spacer. The end links that came with the sway bar have a 1-1/2" spacer. Which would best benefit the suspension? Your supposed to have the sway bar as parallel as possible? I have 1" lowered springs in the front. Thanks for your time.

·
Retired
26,590 Posts
You can get end links in any number of lengths http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=end links&dds=1

You want the bar as parallel as possible but you also need to be sure the end links don't interfear with any other suspension parts when turning. I snapped mine in half in just a couple weeks, used a slightly longer end link and no more hitting, no more broken end links...

·
Retired
26,590 Posts
If the ends of my sway bar were parallel when the car is on the ground there would be no room for end links and they would be touching the lower A-arm. I have 2" drop springs and am about 3/8" - 1/2" off the bump stop. It can really depend on how the ends of the bar are bent...

I don't remember if they were parallel when the front end was up or not. I think you are doing good to make it fit without clearence issues in all directions of travel and movement of the steering etc.

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
3/8" - 1/2" off the bump stop.
That sounds like a problem to me.
If is not parallel you will lose some efficency. Yo can make the spacer any length you want.

·
Retired
26,590 Posts
3/8" - 1/2" off the bump stop.
That sounds like a problem to me.
If is not parallel you will lose some efficency. Yo can make the spacer any length you want.
It's the results of the drop springs and is going to happen any time you bring the A-arms closer together. After thousands of miles the bump stops are not excessively worn so the suspension isn't bottoming out. The car handles and corners very well for a stock rubber bushing front end, Koni shocks, Hotchkis drop springs and 17x8's with 235/45 rubber.

As for the ends of the sway bar, parallel would put mine right on the lower A-arm and any shorter end link causes contact and damage to the end link when cornering. I'm using a solid GM sway bar so one designed for the drop suspension may be bent different on the ends to allow for the drop in the front end. My point is make it parallel if you can but don't sweat it if you need to angle the ends a bit for clearence.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts