Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Timing.....timing....timing.....so misunderstood.

Perhaps like many of you, my butt is on the couch watching horsepower TV. They are recapping the "LS-gun" build. They had the car on the chassis dyno making some pulls. At one point, the hp was in the mid to upper 400's in HP. It was rich at the other end so they leaned it out at got about 490. Mike said it needed a touch more timing and that he was going to add 1* more. The next pull brought it to 541hp. I'm amazed at how 1* can add an extra 50Hp. Does that sound right? Makes me want to go fire up my rig and screw the timing all up again after just getting it to run great. How can 1* make such a big difference? Do you think that was 1* of initial thus 1* total? Thanks!

·
Retired
26,650 Posts
Keep in mind that there are 10's if not 100's of hours of time in producing a 1/2 hour show. That said you see the results with a flare for the dramatic. It's using a poetic license to magically go from mid 400hp to mid 500hp in a 1 deg change. What you don't see is the reality of all the little changes made to get to that point. Part of getting away with it is the fact that it sends a message to the viewer to make small changes and test before making more... Perfect example is who knows what you left behind when you had 200hp and added 10 degs of total and now have 300hp. Would 8 degs have given you 320hp?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
No way....I would say it was a typo. A combination of tuning fuel and timing could get your there if it was waaaaaay off.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
1 degree total, and they had already leaned the mixture out, 60HP...I tend to go along with DJD..but yes it is possible
If they had said 2 or 3 deg, I would be saying yes for sure.
As one over advances there is very little noticable difference, as the power drops off slowly.
But if one retards, there is a point within a couple degress where power drops off real fast. The more tuned in/balanced all the go components , cam headers, heads, carb tuning, the more sensitive the engine is at this point.
We where working on a Subaru EA82 a while back, real bad economy (28mpg) and a slug on a hill..upon checking the all in timing we found the timing was 1.5 degrees retarted. and put approx 1/2 degree advanced of factory...the engine came alive, and economy went out to 46 mpg...this is the most dramatic effect we have ever seen on any engine.

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
Sounds a little questionable. Maybe they edited the wrong sentences out.

·
Retired
26,650 Posts
Keep in mind it was a TV show not a written article. I didn't see this one but they never show the hard work and always leave out tons of detail...

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
did they happen to mention how much power a NOS sticker adds?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts