Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my alternator is bad. I am thinking of replacing it with a higher amp, newer alternator. Currently the setup is a one-wire (I think) alternator setup. I would like to convert back to a 3-wire setup for the voltage idiot light as well as to ease the stress on the alternator so it won't have to run all the time. What is involved in converting to that setup.

Here is some background on the car. The car currently has 2 wires terminated together connected to the output terminal of the alternator. One wire runs and connects to the starter and thus eventually to the battery. The other wire goes to underneath the driver's side front fender and terninates at what seems to be a square box about one inch by one inch. I would like to know what is that box. The wiring harness has replaced with a Painless Wiring harness. I did not do this installation - it was alread in the car when I got it. Does anyone know what exactly is involved in converting the car back to a 3-wire alternator setup? What would I need to get besides a new alternator? What wires do I need to find in the harness for this to work? Thanks for all the advice.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Maybe not reverse it all the way. I don’t think you want to take it back to a DN style externally regulated alternator. If you don’t follow the tech references about hooking up the SI alternator if that’s the type you are buying. It needs the sense jumper wire tied over to the back of the alternator and the blue and brown wires tied together as the tech reference shows.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts