Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if there is a 10 bolt 8.5 inch rearend that will directly bolt onto a 68. If so what car it comes from thanks

·
Registered
472 Posts
Nova, Omega,Ventura, Apollo rearends. Some 71's used the 8.5 some the 8.2, you'll have to check. All 72-75 used the 8.5. All 76-79 with factory V-8 used teh 8.5, the 6cyl. in 76-79's used a 7.5. All will bolt in.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I would have thought it was Nova (and such) 71 - 74?? I thought they got a wider rear in 75 when the body style changed... no?? Don't quote me on that, but that's what I thunk I heard.

I have a 8.5 from a 73 Nova in my 68. It was a direct bolt-in.

Robb

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
A quote from 69X11 on another thread:

"The only thing I don't understand is the whole the 2nd gen rear won't fit a first gen car thing. Yes you have to move the spring perches and shorten the drive shaft, but that's it. I have sitting side by side on my garage floor the original 8.2P out of my 67 Firebird and a 8.5 disc brake rear end out of a 79 Trans am. Both are completely assembled minus brakes and both are the exact same width from axle flange to axle flange. I have a 8.5 out of a 74 Camaro under my 69 and the wheels fit exactally the same as they did with the stock 8.2C axle.So my question is, which cars exactally had a wider rear end, becase it's very clear to me that it's not all the second gen cars."

·
Registered
191 Posts
A quote from 69X11 on another thread:

"The only thing I don't understand is the whole the 2nd gen rear won't fit a first gen car thing. Yes you have to move the spring perches and shorten the drive shaft, but that's it. I have sitting side by side on my garage floor the original 8.2P out of my 67 Firebird and a 8.5 disc brake rear end out of a 79 Trans am. Both are completely assembled minus brakes and both are the exact same width from axle flange to axle flange. I have a 8.5 out of a 74 Camaro under my 69 and the wheels fit exactally the same as they did with the stock 8.2C axle.So my question is, which cars exactally had a wider rear end, becase it's very clear to me that it's not all the second gen cars."

2.gen camaro rear is exactly 1" long. spring perches difrent. I know because I have 2. gen and nova rear in my garage also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts