Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I've blown 3 stock voltage regulators. The guy at the local auto-electric shop says it's because my alternator's amperage is too high at 100 amps.

Is there a voltage regulator out there that can handle my alternator?

Thanks,

Gordon

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Current doesn't flow thru the regulator, it shouldn't matter if its putting out 30a or 3000A. Regulator supplys voltage to the windings of the alternator to create a magnetic field so the alternator can generate power. I would expect most field windings in alternators to have about the same resistance so you shouldn't be pulling more current thru them which would be why your burning up the voltage regulators. See if you have a short in the wiring to the alternator.

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you considered an internal regulator alternator ?
I have one and it works great, and keeps the stock look.
Am considering it....what model SI do you have? and must you use an adapter wiring kit?

Thx,

G

·
Super Moderator
32,608 Posts
Disconnect the external regulator coneector and either visit Mad Electrical for adapters to both the ext reg connector and two wire connector on alternator, or
on the ext reg connector, jumper the two outside wires together and jumper the two inside wires together. then at the alt plug, adapt it or remove terminals from plug and place blue wire onto #2, white onto #1, same wire relation as if externally regulated.

An SI conector can be bought at the Help Aisle in the parts store and add a couple spades to plug into connector.

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Much appreciated, Jerry!

Gordon

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Current doesn't flow thru the regulator, it shouldn't matter if its putting out 30a or 3000A. Regulator supplys voltage to the windings of the alternator to create a magnetic field so the alternator can generate power. I would expect most field windings in alternators to have about the same resistance so you shouldn't be pulling more current thru them which would be why your burning up the voltage regulators. See if you have a short in the wiring to the alternator.
2x

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
If you are concerned and want to ensure things are right than consider this as it is bullit proof! One of the best upgrades with proven results across the board. There are obviously more gremlins you are dealing with and its not the alternater your buying as you have gone through 3. Just a thought worth considering to end many of the electrical woes and improve things once and for all.:)

i would rather spend two days sorting out the charging system and gettingf it right than spend weeks or months trying to trouble shoot what is only one part of the problem!:)

http://www.madelectrical.com/

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Ditto

I've never heard of a 100A externally regulated alternator. All the externally regulated alternators I've dealt with have been less than 40A.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
I've got a 63A alternator because of the A/C on my car. there may be bigger ones on larger cars like a Cadillac or Impala, but 63 is as high as a Camaro alternator goes.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
That sounds right Mark, but I must say I'm confused by this thread. Hopefully we don't have a 100A internally regulated alternator with the old external regulator still attached.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
That would be a problem.:)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I suspect you have a shorted rotor in the alt. Most 100 amp alts are made by changing the stator and using a rotor from a 63 amp alt. This should be compatable with the stock reg. If the alt had the rotor changed to a higher field amp draw then a custom reg will be needed. Either that or you are not grounding the reg good.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
During my resto on 67 - auto electric shop technicians put some different components inside my stock alternator - bumped it up to about 85 Amps - use original volt reg - works great.

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Super Moderator
32,608 Posts
If you're still having problems, I would swap out the VR with a Wells/Airtex P/N VR715 electronic reg and compare results.
If still fails, then try an older 10DN 63 amp alt.
BBC and A/C, 63A is all you need.

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you're still having problems, I would swap out the VR with a Wells/Airtex P/N VR715 electronic reg and compare results.
If still fails, then try an older 10DN 63 amp alt.
BBC and A/C, 63A is all you need.
Yes, I went with the VR715 and it's been smooth as a baby's butt ever since. At the outset when blowing those "stock" regulators from the auto-electric shop, I did borrow a real stock GM regulator from a buddy and it worked fine for 3 months. So, my conclusion is that the "stock" regulators from that shop weren't up to snuff. Those VR-715s are great, I bought 10 of them from Rock Auto for $11 apiece and gave some to Chevy buddies as gifts.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts