Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m building a street/strip camaro and plan to use a 12-bolt rear. I got the rear from the owner of a highly modified ’67 camaro used only for drag racing. He uses Dana rears, and haven’t used the 12-bolt since 1972. Now I got the bare 12-bolt housing, axles, and the original 4-series carrier. The 12-bolt is in great shape, even has that weird anti-hop bracket used on some ’67 camaros. My questions are: Are these rare? Would it be a shame to cut it up and use C-clip eliminators? If so, what's it worth? I feel a little quilty chopping the ends off.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
In my opinion, any 12 bolt originally from a First Gen is kinda rare. I looked for quite a while before I found one for my 69 Z28. I would either sell it or set it aside...you can find shortened rearends at reasonable prices from time to time, but nice original rears are hard to come by.

Gambitt

·
Registered
278 Posts
I agree with Gambit, save or sell it to someone that needs it. You can get a 12 bolt from something else, less valuable, to cut up.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would have to agree. Dont cut it up, save it or sell it. Moser has a all new 12 bolt complete with gears and posi for $2200. Or i know of a camaro specialty shop called camaro specialty in East Aurora New York that has lots of 12 bolts for $1400 complete. They might be interested in your 12 bolt. You can find them on the net. serch for camaro specialty in East Aurora.

·
Registered
11 Posts
okay im the dumb one here..can somebody explain to me what are 12 bolt rears?..or whatev?..why would they be so rare and stuff?.

Clueless christine

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
12 bolt is Chevy-ese for the 60's-70's 8.5" heavy duty rear. The 12 bolt refers to the number of bolts that hold the ring gear to the carrier. Coincedently, it's also the number of bolts that hold the cover to the housing. 10 bolt is the standard duty rear.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
forgive me if I am wrong, but I think that the 12 bolt is actually an 8.75'' unit.

·
Super Moderator
32,473 Posts
Marktat, don't cut up that rear axle.

What's you're price? Email me at [email protected]

Boys, help out Clueless, at 6 o'clock position looking at the rear axle from behind the car, if there is one bolt, then it's a 10-bolt rear axle, if there are two bolts at 6 o'clock, then it's a 12-bolt. But I believe she's going to have a 10-bolt 7.5 inch? axle.

Keep the questions coming Christine, that's the only way you'll learn.

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph

·
Registered
734 Posts
Yes, and if I am not mistaking, a 10 bolt is either 8.2" or 8.5".
(I hope I'm not wrong on this
)

By the way, what are C-clips??

------------------
David
I don't suffer from insanity.....I enjoy every minute of it!
'67 & '68 camaro SS (1:18)
'69 camaro RS/SS (1:18)
'70 chevelle SS blown (1:18)
only $2000 away from a '67 RS (1:1)
http://hobbystage.net/camaro/camaro_crew/

[This message has been edited by DL (edited 01-11-2002).]

·
Registered
336 Posts
If you are going to cut one up get a 12-bolt from a 66 to 69 Carprice or Impala they can be bought pretty resonable. I would not cut the Camaro rear end.

·
Super Moderator
32,473 Posts
C-clips are items removed from inside the diff carrier to allow the axle to be removed from the housing.

They are shaped in a "C", these devices are the only item holding the axle, tire, brake drum/disc in place.

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
HAH! Thanks Dutch.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Thanks for the info Everett

------------------
David
I don't suffer from insanity.....I enjoy every minute of it!
'67 & '68 camaro SS (1:18)
'69 camaro RS/SS (1:18)
'70 chevelle SS blown (1:18)
only $2000 away from a '67 RS (1:1)

http://hobbystage.net/camaro/camaro_crew/

·
Registered
23 Posts
Don't forget that the 12 bolt is very common in 69-72 Chevy/GMC 1/2 ton trucks and Blazers. Not sure if tube diameter/casing is the same as a car ...but it might be..and if you were going to cut one anyway, they can be found cheap. A lot of the truck guys sell them to install a 14 bolt. I did, and sold the 12 bolt for $200. May want to check places like ColoradoK5.com forum under parts for sale/wanted. Good luck. JT

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
The 12 bolt truck rear end is different and not as strong as the 12 bolt car rear end. The Impala 12 bolt is the best one to modify to fit a Camaro. Don't mess up a Chevelle housing either.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Byars Performance
High Performance Drive Train Parts And Service
www.lubedealer.com/biggearhead

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for feedback. If I don't use it, I won't keep it...so what do you think i can sell it for?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Marktat,

If it's completely rebuilt, I think you could get atleast $1200-1400 for it.

I paid $1300 for mine a couple of years ago...

------------------
Ricky
68/RS on Blocks...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts