Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if this is a known vin number??? It was apparently stolen and is coming up at a salvage auction next week if it's of interest to anyone.
Thanks

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Kurt,
It's at IAAI in California. Yes it's a pay type website with dealer registration etc to view. here's a picture of the car if anyone is interested. It's being sold as parts only go figure???
I would say this needs to be noted since I'm sure it will show up on E-Pay as an unrestored, unmolested matching number L-89 or 1 owner Z28

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
[QUOTEI'm sure it will show up on E-Pay as an unrestored, unmolested matching number L-89 or 1 owner Z28][/QUOTE]
Looks like an AC car, so not a good canidate for that.
I thought you where kidding so I checked it out, and the cowl is indeed all that is being sold.
It's listed as non-repairable, so what would be the point of buying it if you can't register it?

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
here's a picture of the car if anyone is interested.
Sad to think that that is considered a "car" by some :noway:

I know there can be a big "grey area" about what is a car and what isnt, but a firewall (to me, at least), is not in that area.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unfortunately in most states this should have all the needed "PARTS" to build another car. Even though it's being sold as parts only it could still be used to obtain a title ie; bonded title, lost title through most title companies for $250,
or a magistrate sale in SC. Think about it, all hidden vins , cowl tag, and serial plate and waallla instant paperwork. I'll watch it and let everyone know what it brings. If it weren't an VN built car and had a X33 or X77 tag I'm sure the "parts" would be on E-bay soon:D

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
...is this an "insurance company" auction? (ie. stolen 'vehicles' being auctioned?)
...How on earth can an INSURANCE company be doing this? ...it doesn't seem a whole lot different than if it were a police auction selling it. With all the knowledge of VIN swaps, etc., ...I can not believe they (if indeed insurance companies) are doing this...:confused:
It's like throwing a bone to the scammers, ...and say 'have at it'...:sad:

·
Super Moderator
32,778 Posts
...is this an "insurance company" auction? (ie. stolen 'vehicles' being auctioned?)...How on earth can an INSURANCE company be doing this?
Insurance companies do this everyday. Insured reports stolen vehicle to police.
Notifies insurance to make claim.
After X amount of time, if vehicle is not recovered, Ins comp pays owner/lienholder.
Title goes to Ins Company. Ownership gets transferred.
Meanwhile, stolen vehicle gets a new VIN and title from illegal(?) route.
Later on, car gets in accident or something, VIN is taken and entered along with year, make, & model. Adjuster, along with State Police, and sometimes DMV, get other VIN's.
All info is entered and comes up as stolen. Insurance company takes immediate possession, regardless who owns it or claims to have rights to it.
Lot gets full of stolen recoveries, ins company has an auction.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The only why to stop all this type of scamming bambuseling is for G.M to request the information on vins that was sent to the National insurance crime burau when the car was shippedout of its plants. The NICB and G.M. could stop this all. We have no way to defend ourselfs (as the public) if they just store these records. Its a hay day for theives thats for sure!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts