1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
32,598 Posts
You could not bolt up the extension and just use the bracket as an extension from the head. This is the action I took on my previously owned '88 MCSS and had no problems.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

That looks nice Steiner - but I'm afraid it doesn't fit in with my grunge theme.

I was reading the tech ref series above, and they made it sound like that rear support was pretty important for long bearing life.

I found one guy who's selling the GM bracket - in England. Sheesh.

I went to a local GM only salvage yard today thinking for sure they'd have one, and no dice there. You'd think they'd be on J-hooks at 7-Eleven - I'm sure they made about a billion of them.

I'll keep lookin'!

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
You ready to make out with me? Look at what might be under my house. I think I gave it away already but if so I know who to and can see if he still has it.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Yeah, 10 and 12 bolt up the same. I'm not at home now but will check in the morning and if it's not there I'll give the guy a call.

There's a spot behind my house where I throw scrap metal to weather until I get a decent load to take to the scrap yard. If I wind up being able to get the bracket, I'll rake around there and see if I can find a bolt that's up to your standards to go with it.

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
You can also keep an eye on eBay, I have bought a couple of sets for $20 or so. I think I may have one of those but it seems like every build I need something a little different so I have started a bracket collection. :)

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Larry may have to hook you up, Al. I called they guy I gave my alt to and he said he thinks it wound up at a swap meet. However he did say that just like Larry he had a bracket collection. I sent him the same picture as above (he knew what I was talking about) and he said he'd look through what he had this afternoon and give me one if he had it. On another note, I found the starter bracket we were talking about if you need one.

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey guys - thanks for the info!

Steiner - I modified my original starter brace by welding a tab onto it and drilling a hole - it's installed and will work just fine - thanks for the offer!

Larry - thanks for the e-bay tip! (see below)

Mike - I had looked at that one - it looks like he has his "years" off by a bit, since the LWP didn't start until 1969. That is the correct bracket, though.

So a little more searching through e-bay brought this one up. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHRO...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories I think I'll buy it, sandblast the chrome off and paint it black.

Thanks again for everone's help.

AS

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Al, I'm meeting my friend to grab one of those brackets today if you didn't buy the chrome one already. Just pm me your address if you decide you want it.

SS

1 - 12 of 12 Posts