Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
re-wiring 67 rs with 327 adding vintage air gen4 ,have american autowire complete kit.
and after reading forums it looks like i should install madelectric new system ? (right?)
my question is which 3 terminal internal reg. alt should i use?
ac delco 12si ,cs130 100amp or aftermamarket powermaster?
can you please help and if possible supply part # for alternator that will work with my set up.
thanks
garrison 67

·
Super Moderator
32,614 Posts
If adding any more accessories, i.e., stereo amp(s), fans, depends upon the load.
12SI is an easy swap for the conventional electric system.
CS130 is better for more load.
Aftermarket alts in the 140-160 amp range are for the fully loaded auto.

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
I just went through this. I picked up one of these http://www.4alterstart.com/pages/st...p://www.4alterstart.com/highoutputalternators I haven't had a problem with it so far. Heat on full, brights on radio. My voltage stays at 14. All I did was bolt it in. It uses the stock external regulator. He does something to the alt so you can get 130A out of it and just plug it in. He's been in buisness for over 30 years. Hope it helps. Oh good price and looks great.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
If you going 3 wire with internal regulator I would definitely go with the CS130 because your doing the modification anyway. You can get CS130 from your local Wreckers for say an 84 GM Station Wagon that has the "V" Belt pulley for about $25. When running with the factory-original type wire harness, clearly it is an advantage to maintain the “MAIN POWER DISTRIBUTION JUNCTION” (Horne Relay terminal) at 14 volts, in other words, you must wire the Alternator output and the exciter line to the + terminal of the Horne Relay too. You should not use a small jumper for the exciter wire on the back of the alternator as the longer wire to the horn relay acts as a remote sensor at a location were the voltage drops. The CS130 requires a small .05w resistor to simulate the presence of an alternator dash light if you are running a meter gauge. The SI's don't require it. You might have to put a washer or 2 to extend the mounting tube and grind a very small amount off the main bracket for profile purposes but the CS130 fits in a 10SI mounting. I can run either a 10SI or CS130 in my 70z with a BBC which is not wired that much different then your 67 and practically identical to the 69 setup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts