Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was doing some trouble shooting this weekend on my electrical system and i am lost. I was told to measure the volts at the battery and the alternator with car running and all my lights and fan on and see what the volts say. I have been having a problem with the volts dropping down past 12 volts. So I tested and I get 13.9 volts at the battery, 13.9 volts at the alternator and 13.9-14 at the horn relay with everything on. the guage in dash stills reads 12 volts and sometimes flucuates lower and higher. What the hell? I don't know where to look next. Everything is brnad new too. Any more suggestions? I also ran the 8 guage wire direct from the battery to the alternator and now when I taop the brakes the volts drop.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Check the ground your gauge is using??

·
Registered
523 Posts
When you are doing your tests what you measure on the fuseblock BAT and IGN terminal? I assume that this is an aftermarket gage wired on the IGN side of the switch. If BAT looks good it’s not a ground issue. If BAT doesn’t look good it may be the forward lamp harness positive lead connection on the horn relay or a ground.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Guage could be out of calibration also. Do the voltage checks as others have suggested. Best of all is to measure the voltage between the + - leads of the guage (wherever they may be connected). Many of the guages have a calibration pot inside the lamp socket. Just don't tweak it without checking though. If you do have an electrical system problem, a miscalibrated guage won't be of much use.

-dnult

1 - 4 of 4 Posts