Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
15" Wheels for Dog Dish Hub Caps & Stock Type Disc Brakes - '68 Camaro

Looking for a set of wheels for a 1968 Camaro with dog dish hub caps. I eventually plan to upgrade the car with stock type 4 wheel disc brakes.

I have just a couple questions:

1. I emailed Pete Pausen asking whether or not they make a wheel that will fit the dog dish cap and clear disc brakes. They responded that they make a wheel that accepts a 10 1/8" hub cap. They did not address my question about disc brakes.

I'm currently down range and unable to measure the hub caps. Can someone confirm whether or not the hub caps have a 10 1/8" diameter?

2. I did a search and couldn't find anyone running 215 70R 15 tires on all four wheels. Will this tire clear with stock height 6308 Moog front and stock height leaf springs in the rear?

TIA

Wes

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Re: 15" Wheels for Dog Dish Hub Caps & Stock Type Disc Brakes - '68 Ca

I'll take some measurements when I get home. I picked up some 15x7" steel wheels at a flea market a few years ago to use with the dog dish hubcaps, and paid $75 for the set. You might want to check some junkyards for the wheels.

That tire size shouldn't have any clearance issues.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Kevin, thanks for the pics. You wouldn't happen to know what GM application might have the 15 X 7 wheels with the nubs, or will I likely need to go aftermarket?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts

I think pretty much every GM stock steel wheel from the 60's and 70's will accommodate the small hubcap. The wheels I got likely came from a full-size Chevy, like a Caprice or Impala. I have a number of other steel wheels from that era that the dog dish hubcaps will fit on as well. This type of wheel should be easy to find in a junkyard or flea market.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks Kevin, hopefully I can find a set in Pomona, or figure out a vehicle application. Then I can look for a set on craigslist.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts

Wes,

I I just PM'd you with the wheel codes and cars that have those wheels--the codes are by the valve stem and will fit what you want.

I have a set of them on my 68 in my signature as you see below.

They are sometimes found at swap meets, craigslist, etc. I paid around $120 for a clean set of 4

Brent

·
Registered
1,931 Posts

duplicate post

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Brent, thank you. Got the PMs, but was unable to reply because your mailbox is full.

Having the vehicle applications will make the search that much easier.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

George, the 215 65R 15 seems like a popular size. I was leaning toward the 215 70 R 15 tires, because I liked how they rode on our Chevelle, not against the shorter 65 series tire. It will probably come down to what we can find with raised white letters and the cost.

I look forward to seeing your car when I get back. Reb will probably be with me from mid-July until he has to go back to school.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts

Fwiw, I have 235/60/15 on my car pictured above--that's all I could stuff under the front and it still rubs when I turn to full lock when turning around...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts