Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I've pretty much decided I'm going to get a set of US Mags Ramblers in matte gunmetal. However, I'm torn on going 17" vs 18". What are your thoughts.

There are a couple reasons I'm leaning towards 17". First off, my Camaro sits really low and I'm afraid that 18" wheels might be a little too much wheel and will make my car look kinda like a clown car. Second, I already have 17" wheels/tires so going 17" will allow me to just swap my wheels reducing the cost by almost half since I don't need new tires. Third, I know 17x7 and 17x8 with my tires fit my car without rubbing in back or front. If I go with 18" I will have to go 18x8 and 18x9.5 and that might cause some rubbing depending on the tire size but I don't want to have pizza cutter tires in order to keep from rubbing.

Total cost to upgrade just the 17" wheels will be about $800 vs 18" will cost about $1,700 - $1,800 mostly because I have to get new tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,067 Posts
I'll try to post a picture of my car if I can figure out how I can delete some pictures from my old posts and free up space to allow me to upload.
Select "User CP" (user control panel) tab in the header. On the left side there is a Miscellaneous section.
Select "Attachment". That will bring up your attachments so you can delete them.

·
Premium Member
4,276 Posts
Tire selection is a lot better in 18”.

Don

·
Registered
23 Posts
Both the 17-inch and 18-inch wheels and tires were in the sweet spot of grip, braking performance, ride comfort, and steering feel. Moving from 17-inches to 18s barely degrades ride quality, and the additional grip is welcome.

US Mags wheels really look nice on Camaro, a lot of my friends have them installed on their car.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Go for 17” all days of the week!
I have a set of custom made AR 200S in 17” and I love that you still have enough of rubber to get that muscle car look! But be sure to measure your specific car for exact BS, I did and have no problem at all with rubbing despite the car is lowered 2” all around!

I run 17x8", BS 4,75" with Kuhmo Ecsta 225/50 in front and 17x9,5", BS 5,75" with 255/50 in rear.

·
Premium Member
4,276 Posts
I've got 18's now and thinking going 19's in the rear when I mini tub because the 18's seem to be getting more and more limited in sizes
Yep I run a 345-30/19 on the rear and a 295-35/18 on the front. On the other hand you can’t buy a 335 -19 tire. Only in 18.

Don

Reactions: Just 1 More

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Go for 17” all days of the week!
I have a set of custom made AR 200S in 17” and I love that you still have enough of rubber to get that muscle car look! But be sure to measure your specific car for exact BS, I did and have no problem at all with rubbing despite the car is lowered 2” all around!

I run 17x8", BS 4,75" with Kuhmo Ecsta 225/50 in front and 17x9,5", BS 5,75" with 255/50 in rear.
Thanks.

The US Mags have 17x7 with 4" BS and I believe my front tires are 205/60/17. The US Mags 17x8 have a 4.75" BS and right now I have 245/45/17. If I stay with 17" I'll get 255/45/17 next tire swap. There is less than half inch difference between 245 vs 255 but it sounds like 255 works so I'll move to that next time. I would love to do 275 but I'm pretty sure I'll start running into rubbing issues if I do.

I'm still leaning towards 17". Honestly I don't think I'll put them on and think....I should have gone 18" but I'm afraid if I go 18" I might think it's too much wheel and wish I would have stuck with 17".

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
There's nothing wrong with 18's its all about the sidewall as far as I'm concerned. I went from 15" to 17" and am very happy with the setup. Fronts are 245/45-17 on 8" wheels with 4.75" backspace. Rears are 275/40-17 on 9.5" wheels with 5.5" backspace. Tires are Firestone Firehawk 500's which is a really nice 3 season kinda gummy tire that's not super expensive.

My car is also pretty low. No rubbing while driving, but I have a very steep driveway and if I turn in sharply from the street the rear inside tire will kiss the tailpipe for a split second. Never happens anyplace else LOL.

BTW... that's a nice ride you have, especially the color!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I personally prefer 18s but its pretty much personal preference. With the 17s, you can run a taller sidewall and maybe get a more compliant ride and with the 18s you can run a shorter sideway and get better handling. I can't say by how much though. If you're not seeking one of those over the other, then looking at pics and deciding what you like best is the only way to decide. Pick what looks best to you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There's nothing wrong with 18's its all about the sidewall as far as I'm concerned. I went from 15" to 17" and am very happy with the setup. Fronts are 245/45-17 on 8" wheels with 4.75" backspace. Rears are 275/40-17 on 9.5" wheels with 5.5" backspace. Tires are Firestone Firehawk 500's which is a really nice 3 season kinda gummy tire that's not super expensive.

My car is also pretty low. No rubbing while driving, but I have a very steep driveway and if I turn in sharply from the street the rear inside tire will kiss the tailpipe for a split second. Never happens anyplace else LOL.

BTW... that's a nice ride you have, especially the color!
Nice Camaro you have as well....

Those are 275 on 19.5" wheels in the picture? You look like you have tons of room. I'm assuming that's due to the larger back spacing on your wheels. Unfortunately, unless I want to pay a ton of money for a custom setup, the US Mags only come in a 17x8 with a 4.5" BS on the 4.75 bolt pattern. The 18x9.5 have 5.25" back spacing which I don't think will be enough to prevent rubbing. There isn't any choices with backspacing on these wheels. You either get what they have or you go custom which will be out of my budget.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What's your thoughts on going with 17" and 18" on a '69. Typically I don't like the two different sizes but US Mags widest 17" is a 17x8 or I can get a 18x9.5. I'm wondering how 17x7 with a 205/50/17 and then 18x9.5 with a 255/50/17 would look. I think the 18" would have enough of a back space to not cause rubbing. Just not sure that I like going the two different sizes as a general rule.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I am more of an original old guy so when I change I like tp keep the style of the original design. Too big or too small take away from the look of the car. The sidewall on a 17 will match the original size very close. My lowered BB, 2" lowering system turns out to be 1" lower than the AIM! 235/45 and 255/45 Foose on 8" all around. So what if the tire size is limited, try getting 14's!

·
Premium Member
4,276 Posts
I am more of an original old guy so when I change I like tp keep the style of the original design. Too big or too small take away from the look of the car. The sidewall on a 17 will match the original size very close. My lowered BB, 2" lowering system turns out to be 1" lower than the AIM! 235/45 and 255/45 Foose on 8" all around. So what if the tire size is limited, try getting 14's!
Some folks actually care about grip, treadwear rating, noise, etc so having a decent tire selection does matter to them... :grin2:

For example I am very careful not to pick tires with too low of a treadwear rating because the soft rubber will pick up and throw a lot of gravel generating paint chips. Others want max grip regardless. So folks do care.... I generally like to be around 300 treadwear. Good compromise imho and limits an already limited tire selection....

Don

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I get picky for tires on all my cars, but there seems to be enough selection to satisfy the best of us. I like all you said as well, My collector cars are mostly street driven. My Vette and V Caddy......well that's a different kettle of fish!!

·
Registered
856 Posts
Yep I run a 345-30/19 on the rear and a 295-35/18 on the front. On the other hand you can’t buy a 335 -19 tire. Only in 18.

Don
I would love to get that 345-30/19 up under my 68. I'm doing the DSE Mini tubs, Ridetech 4 link and rolling the lips.. so hopefully
What backspacing did you go with? And I assume they're on 19x12's?

·
Premium Member
4,276 Posts
I would love to get that 345-30/19 up under my 68. I'm doing the DSE Mini tubs, Ridetech 4 link and rolling the lips.. so hopefully
What backspacing did you go with? And I assume they're on 19x12's?
Yes 19x12. 345 will be tight. You will have to measure and nail the backspacing. I have stretched quarters and minitubs so my backspacing won’t apply to you.

DSE states 315 tire max on 67-68 Camaros.

Don

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would like to hear more about running 17s and 18s. I been thinking about putting 18s on the rear of my 69. I have 17 x 8 Torque Thrust IIs all around, but I kind of like the staggered look of a larger wheel in the rear. Then I see so many of you guys sticking with 17s. Thoughts?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts