Team Camaro Tech banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dcaver and 57Vette:

I really...wait,no, no...REALLY like the tire & wheel setup on your cars. I have been looking for a solution for my wife's 68 Camaro that was a bit larger than the 14in that came with the car, but I still want some sidewall height to keep the look of that era. I think you have nailed it. I also love the look of the American Racing AR200 - I had those in 15in on my 79 Camaro in high school (I STILL have that car, sadly not the rims anymore) and I am so partial to those. I would love to know where you got them...

One question though...does anyone know if the tire/rim sizes and backspacing can be transferred directly to a 68 and work? I am unsure how different they are back there and I'd hate to go with something that is not going to work.

Absolutely love both of your Camaros...very well done! I'm hoping to start back to work on hers soon and will get there someday!
Dan...

·
Registered
855 Posts
Yes 19x12. 345 will be tight. You will have to measure and nail the backspacing. I have stretched quarters and minitubs so my backspacing won’t apply to you.

DSE states 315 tire max on 67-68 Camaros.

Don
I was just curious about the BS, I need to order rims & tires, set them in place and then measure axle length then have the housing cut to fit.

·
Premium Member
4,273 Posts
I was just curious about the BS, I need to order rims & tires, set them in place and then measure axle length then have the housing cut to fit.
My IRS rear is stock width so it’s not really going to help you. The way to do it is order the narrowed rear and then install it and measure the backspacing using a wheel fit tool imho. You can also calculate it from the stock specs and adjusting for the wider wheel, wider tub and and narrower rear end. I just did this for a build I’m currently doing. Both techniques gave me the same backspacing.

If you aren’t comfortable then add a 1/4 inch to the backspacing to allow you to use a small spacer to dial it in.

Don

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Nice Camaro you have as well....

Those are 275 on 19.5" wheels in the picture? You look like you have tons of room. I'm assuming that's due to the larger back spacing on your wheels. Unfortunately, unless I want to pay a ton of money for a custom setup, the US Mags only come in a 17x8 with a 4.5" BS on the 4.75 bolt pattern. The 18x9.5 have 5.25" back spacing which I don't think will be enough to prevent rubbing. There isn't any choices with backspacing on these wheels. You either get what they have or you go custom which will be out of my budget.
Yeah... the backspacing makes a world of difference. The wheels are forged Budniks, not cheap but I bought them from a member who went 4-link and even wider and the price was reasonable considering their condition and quality. I was running 15" chrome rally wheels. 6" wide in the front, 8" out back. Tires were 215-70's up front, 255-60 out back. I was patient, kept looking for something gently used that I liked that was somewhat affordable. Here's the car with 15".

As far as tire sizes go on the 17's vs 18's it might be somewhat limited on the 17's but I found nice tires, some Corvette guys that burn up tires auto crossing liked these Firestones and while I don't drag or autocross, I also don't care about whether they last 20,000 or 50,000 miles at 3K-4K a year if that. I've got some friends with them on their Hellcats and Mustangs as well. These tires look good on the car and many have asked if its mini-tubbed LOL. The 275/40-17 Firehawks are about 11" wide cross-section, about 9-1/2" wide on the tread. Go to Tire Rack or YouTube and read the reviews.

·
Registered
282 Posts
What size are your disk brakes? An 18 inch wheel with a 11 inch disk just won’t look right. If you have rear drums even worse.

Every other day it seems I see a new pickup with 22’s and stock brakes - too much open space kills the look.

·
Premium Member
4,273 Posts
I'm sorry I wasn't more clear, WHAT BRAND TIRE? WHAT MANUFACTURER? IE: TOYO, NITTO etc ??
MICHELIN PILOT SPORTS IF I REMEMBER RIGHT!! :grin2:

Don

Reactions: Just 1 More

·
13,738 Posts
I like 18s. Good tire choices

·
Registered
268 Posts
You must be seeing something i'm not, 19's have a whole bunch more sizes available
20 and 21” even more!:clonk:
The question here wasn’t how many choices of tire size you can choose from, it’s about what’s best for a Camaro in many aspects and not looking like a clown car and I still think that 17” is max to keep looks and handling for a classic muscle car, period! :cool:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I don't know why I stopped getting notifications about posts but I came back to give more info. Sorry about the long post but wanted to give everyone that might be in the same boat as much detail as I can.

A buddy of mine has some 18x9/4.75 backspace with 275/40/18 and his fronts are 18x8/4.25 backspace on a '70 Chevelle. I took my Camaro over to his house try them on last weekend. First off the 18x9 with the 275 will by no means fit my car. Again, remember my car is lowered 2" in the rear. Those 275 on the 18x9 were about 1" on the outside of my rear fender well. The only way to get those will work would be to jack it up in the rear with some air shocks and that ain't happening!!

I then tried his 18x8/4.25 BS fronts on my rear and I believe they had 235/45/18 (I'm drawing a blank on the tire size but I'll confirm it and come back to edit). Those worked pretty well for my rear. I liked the look of the 18" on the rear and would choose that if it works out but I will say it wasn't a super dramatic difference over my 17" wheels. So, I'm good with the 18" on the rear and it will clear with maybe a slight ding in the rear section of the exhaust pipe just for good measure.

I also put his other 18x8 on my front and set the car on the ground. The tire went up into the fender well but that was pretty much it. There was about a 1/4" clearance if I was lucky. No way that isn't going to rub in a turn. On top of that it just looked off to me. The 18" was too big for the front IMO. I just didn't like the looks of it at all. At first my buddy thought the 18" up front looked fine but after about 10 minutes of looking at it, he agreed, the 18" up front was a no go with his setup. Maybe with an 18x7 up front and a lower profile tire but not the way this one looked. Besides, the US Mag I'm looking at, they only come in 18x9.5 or 18x8. I contacted US Mag and to get a 18x7 I would have to get a custom two piece wheel made and the price of one of their two piece wheels was the same cost of the whole set of pre-fabbed wheels....again, not something in my budget.

I actually have a picture of a '69 with the US Mags in an 17" and 18" staggered setup and it honestly looks it would possibly be workable. However, my personal preference is to not do staggered set ups. I think at first I might be okay with the two different sizes but eventually wouldn't want it. That's just my opinion on running staggered wheels. I know there are plenty of people out there who are good with staggered wheels but I'm just not one of them.

That being said, it looks like I'm going to go with the 17x7/4.0 backspace up front and 17x8/4.5 backspace out back.

So, now it's on to the tires. I'm currently running 17x7 with 205/50/17 and 17x8 with 245/45/17 for about 15 years now. My car is pretty damn low and I've have zero rubbing issues ever with this combo. That being said, I do think the rear 245 is borderline being too skinny out back. I would love to do a 275 but that's just not going to be in the cards with my car being lowered. I think the biggest I could get and not rub would be a 255/45/17 but that's only .4" wider over my current 245/45. Still, I'll take any width I can get if it doesn't rub. However, looking around there seems to be 10x as many brands that have a 245 than 255. I've run Sumitomo tires for the last 15 years with good luck. I know they are cheap and probably not the best performing tire but I don't drag race, auto-X, or road race my car. I only drive it around town to car shows and so forth and I estimate I put about 1,000 miles a year average on my car so my tires usually need to be replaced due to age rather than being worn out. The Sumitomo's are super cheap on price, I was quoted all 4 tires mounted and balanced out the door for $400 even.

Looks like when it's all said and done, I'm going to be going back to my same set up of 17x7 with the 205 up front and 17x8 with 245 on the rear. Total wheel and tire package price is going to be $1,200 turn key for everything including installation and taxes.

I'm still going to keep my current Boyds wheels in case I ever want to go back. I'll try to post some pictures when everything is all done within the next couple weeks or so.

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
I had 275 18” on my 68. You should have no problem on a 69 with the correct offset. I can’t remember my offset but I had a shorter 9” rear end so my numbers would t work for you anyway. But you can fit a 275.

·
Premium Member
4,273 Posts
I don't know why I stopped getting notifications about posts but I came back to give more info. Sorry about the long post but wanted to give everyone that might be in the same boat as much detail as I can.

A buddy of mine has some 18x9/4.75 backspace with 275/40/18 and his fronts are 18x8/4.25 backspace on a '70 Chevelle. I took my Camaro over to his house try them on last weekend. First off the 18x9 with the 275 will by no means fit my car. Again, remember my car is lowered 2" in the rear. Those 275 on the 18x9 were about 1" on the outside of my rear fender well. The only way to get those will work would be to jack it up in the rear with some air shocks and that ain't happening!!

I then tried his 18x8/4.25 BS fronts on my rear and I believe they had 235/45/18 (I'm drawing a blank on the tire size but I'll confirm it and come back to edit). Those worked pretty well for my rear. I liked the look of the 18" on the rear and would choose that if it works out but I will say it wasn't a super dramatic difference over my 17" wheels. So, I'm good with the 18" on the rear and it will clear with maybe a slight ding in the rear section of the exhaust pipe just for good measure.

I also put his other 18x8 on my front and set the car on the ground. The tire went up into the fender well but that was pretty much it. There was about a 1/4" clearance if I was lucky. No way that isn't going to rub in a turn. On top of that it just looked off to me. The 18" was too big for the front IMO. I just didn't like the looks of it at all. At first my buddy thought the 18" up front looked fine but after about 10 minutes of looking at it, he agreed, the 18" up front was a no go with his setup. Maybe with an 18x7 up front and a lower profile tire but not the way this one looked. Besides, the US Mag I'm looking at, they only come in 18x9.5 or 18x8. I contacted US Mag and to get a 18x7 I would have to get a custom two piece wheel made and the price of one of their two piece wheels was the same cost of the whole set of pre-fabbed wheels....again, not something in my budget.

I actually have a picture of a '69 with the US Mags in an 17" and 18" staggered setup and it honestly looks it would possibly be workable. However, my personal preference is to not do staggered set ups. I think at first I might be okay with the two different sizes but eventually wouldn't want it. That's just my opinion on running staggered wheels. I know there are plenty of people out there who are good with staggered wheels but I'm just not one of them.

That being said, it looks like I'm going to go with the 17x7/4.0 backspace up front and 17x8/4.5 backspace out back.

So, now it's on to the tires. I'm currently running 17x7 with 205/50/17 and 17x8 with 245/45/17 for about 15 years now. My car is pretty damn low and I've have zero rubbing issues ever with this combo. That being said, I do think the rear 245 is borderline being too skinny out back. I would love to do a 275 but that's just not going to be in the cards with my car being lowered. I think the biggest I could get and not rub would be a 255/45/17 but that's only .4" wider over my current 245/45. Still, I'll take any width I can get if it doesn't rub. However, looking around there seems to be 10x as many brands that have a 245 than 255. I've run Sumitomo tires for the last 15 years with good luck. I know they are cheap and probably not the best performing tire but I don't drag race, auto-X, or road race my car. I only drive it around town to car shows and so forth and I estimate I put about 1,000 miles a year average on my car so my tires usually need to be replaced due to age rather than being worn out. The Sumitomo's are super cheap on price, I was quoted all 4 tires mounted and balanced out the door for $400 even.

Looks like when it's all said and done, I'm going to be going back to my same set up of 17x7 with the 205 up front and 17x8 with 245 on the rear. Total wheel and tire package price is going to be $1,200 turn key for everything including installation and taxes.

I'm still going to keep my current Boyds wheels in case I ever want to go back. I'll try to post some pictures when everything is all done within the next couple weeks or so.
Those Chevelle wheels had the wrong backspacing leading you to incorrect conclusions imho.

Correct backspacings are:

17x7 = 4.25"bs
17x8 = 4.75"bs
17x8.5 = 5" bs
17x9 = 5.25"bs
17x9.5 = 5.5" bs

Ignore the 17, they are correct for all wheel diameters.

Don

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I had 275 18” on my 68. You should have no problem on a 69 with the correct offset. I can’t remember my offset but I had a shorter 9” rear end so my numbers would t work for you anyway. But you can fit a 275.
'68 and '69 have different wheel wells in addition my car is lowered at least 2" in the rear. I put the wheel on the car but couldn't let it down because it stuck out so much. The backspace on that wheel was 4.75 and the US Mags are 5.25 but that's only .5" difference and the wheel stuck out way more than .5". In addition the US Mags are 18x9.5 where the Chevelle wheels are 18x9 so I would probably be in the same boat even though they with the extra backspacing.

You are correct, with the right offset it would work but I would have to pay to have a custom wheel made with the right offset. That's out of my budget so I have to stick with pre-fabbed widths and offset.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Those Chevelle wheels had the wrong backspacing leading you to incorrect conclusions imho.

Correct backspacings are:

17x7 = 4.25"bs
17x8 = 4.75"bs
17x8.5 = 5" bs
17x9 = 5.25"bs
17x9.5 = 5.5" bs

Ignore the 17, they are correct for all wheel diameters.

Don
We measured the backspacing on all the wheels. He had his Chevelle wheels custom made for his needed offset and they were 18x9 with 4.75" BS and 18x8 with 4.25" BS.

BTW: my current 17x8 have a 4.5" BS and if I remember correctly my 17x7 are 4.25 (didn't write that one down so can't remember for sure). The US Mags I'm looking at are 17x7 with 4.0" BS and 17x8 with 4.5" BS.

·
Registered
562 Posts
20 and 21” even more!:clonk:
The question here wasn’t how many choices of tire size you can choose from, it’s about what’s best for a Camaro in many aspects and not looking like a clown car and I still think that 17” is max to keep looks and handling for a classic muscle car, period! :cool:

Some choose size of wheels based on the brake system & rotors, calipers they want to run as well. Its physically impossible to fit large brakes under small wheels.

Also less lateral movement on lower profile tires....... body roll, weight transfer, unsprung weight also considerations when selecting tires and sizing.
Here's a bunch of 1st gens with various tire sizes, some I like more than others, we all have our own preferences whether its 14" and or up to 21".
https://www.detroitspeed.com/projects

I personally don't go by the one size fits all for everybody motto. We all express our taste in vehicles differently.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts