Team Camaro Tech banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
'68 and '69 have different wheel wells in addition my car is lowered at least 2" in the rear. I put the wheel on the car but couldn't let it down because it stuck out so much. The backspace on that wheel was 4.75 and the US Mags are 5.25 but that's only .5" difference and the wheel stuck out way more than .5". In addition the US Mags are 18x9.5 where the Chevelle wheels are 18x9 so I would probably be in the same boat even though they with the extra backspacing.

You are correct, with the right offset it would work but I would have to pay to have a custom wheel made with the right offset. That's out of my budget so I have to stick with pre-fabbed widths and offset.
Yes, 69's have a little more room than a 68, and my car was lowered with 3"drop Hotchkis leafs, and I autocrossed it with no rubbing.

But yes, a custom offset gets pricey for sure.
Maybe your rear end has been changed to a non Camaro one thats a little longer than stock pushing the wheel out more ?

my car when it was on 275 18"

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have 17" TT IIs on my 69 vert. I think 17s look right..enough wheel /tire and wheel well symmetry. I am limited in brake size though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I ended up going with the 17's all around as well as I went back to the same size tires I've been running. I have an appointment to mount/balance them today. I'll get some pictures and try to post them if I can.

I looked back at my recipients and I've been running my Boyd Smoothie II wheels for 18 yrs now. It's time for an update, although I'll probably keep my Boyds around in case I want to go back to them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's really a personal preference. I bought 18" American racing wheels from 4wheelonline so that I can have better tire selection. Ride quality is still good.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts