Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there a big difference with the ride or handling going to a 17" wheel ?
the look is great , thinking of a change

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Although my direct comparison is Vette based I think the results apply for a Camaro. My experience matched the general consensus of slightly harsher ride but improved lateral grip. For acceleration I like 15” wheels. Performance tire options are a lot better as you increase diameter.

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
As others have said, go 17 for the better tires. Will give you better handling, braking, acceleration, etc. And its safer too and you are less likely to crash your car if some texter cuts you off and you have to do a panic stop.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
I looked long and hard at going 17 inch and could justify it. For me I like the looks of the 15 inch wheel and tire combo. It's also amazing the amount of people that tell me it's nice to see a firs gen and it still has 15 inch wheels.

They make the Cragar wheel I have in 17 inch, I just don't think it's looks as good. I have power single piston front disc brakes from a 69 Camaro/Chevelle and the 67 stops just fine. They have been tehre before I re-did the 67 into it's current state and after 160,000 miles and daily driver use I never had an issue stopping the car in a panic and with teh hotchkiss suspension it handles well for what it is....a 67 Camaro. I think some of this is what are you wanting the bigger combo for?

They look good but some of the other big wheels look they are dime a dozen on these cars.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
One of the "good" things about switching away from 15" rubber, is that you can run tires with a lot better grip.
I still am running 15" right now. I have considered switching but cant find a wheel that I like that is not $600 each.

You could always just put on a set of these if you are after a sticky tire... :)
http://www.avonmotorsport.com/historic/road-legal/cr6zz
These are very nice in 17's and only about $250 each.

or go in between with 16's like these....I like the old school look.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Yah... those arent bad choices... but IMHO, there are way too many Camaros out there with some variation of a 5 spoke wheel... No desire to go that way on my car...

I like how 16" wheels look... but there are practically no tire choices in that size....

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
Might as well go back to the original 14" wheels. Those are truly old school and only slightly crappier than 15's. ;)

Honestly going to a lower profile/bigger diameter tire and wheel setup was one of the most noticeable performance upgrades I've made to date.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I like my 15 x 8 Vette wheels. . . .and with new tires it was a big big differenc in handling over my 10 year old bfg's. I am old school and like the way it was intended to be without all the expensive ad on's for a car I drive 500 miles a year, and I have 4 69's all a bit different, but still old school. . . .just an old guy talkin.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I do like the 16 and 17 TT rims and would love the benefit from running modern tires.

I just wish AR still made the real TTD rims so they would clear my JL8 style brakes in the front.

Thank goodness for FW rims.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
my tires are getting old and time to replace so I have been looking into different look and handling aspects while car is sleeping under the covers and it is snowing and below ZERO
thanks for the info

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
my tires are getting old and time to replace so I have been looking into different look and handling aspects while car is sleeping under the covers and it is snowing and below ZERO
thanks for the info
They make some really nice 17" snow tires nowadays.:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts