Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying wheels for my 67 RS. I have narrowed it down to
17s or 18s it seems to me that more people are running 17s than 18s, why?? I know that 18s are more $$ but I think they may look better.
I am thinking about either Billet Specialties "chicayne" or Intro "Pentia".
Is there anything that you guys know that I should consider before I make a purchase??
Has anyone bought wheels from Newstalgia?? how are they??
Where can I buy Intro wheels??
Any input would be helpful
PICTURES OF CARS WITH 17s or 18s WOULD BE MORE HELPFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
I have 17s and I wish I went with 18" for one simple reason.. though my car is a 4 wheel disc car already ,I would like to put the latest and greatest stuff on it... with TT IIs in 17" I cannot fit anything larger than a 12" rotor in the wheel...which is ample, but the 13" and up looks sooo much cooler :)

It's not a 69 but this will give you a good look at the 17s

·
Gold Lifetime Member
2,189 Posts
IMO... anything larger than 17" doesn't look right on these cars.
They are too much like wagon wheels.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
10,548 Posts
I have 17s and I wish I went with 18" for one simple reason.. though my car is a 4 wheel disc car already ,I would like to put the latest and greatest stuff on it... with TT IIs in 17" I cannot fit anything larger than a 12" rotor in the wheel...which is ample, but the 13" and up looks sooo much cooler :)

I had 17" TTII's and 13" brakes, so not sure where your interference problem is.

Initially these, 13" front and rear:

And then these:

Jody

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
Jody... this comes from one of our sponsors... I ended up getting the Wilwood 12" kit and I have not put it on the car because to be honest it looks kind of cheap. I do not know if I am spoiled because my race cars have "real brake" that look like "real brakes" but I agree.. that is why I stayed with 17" because I thought they were the proper look and allowed me run a larger tire with no modification to the car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Big is nice, they look good if the wheel is right for the car. I have a 69 conv. I will get it back from paint this week. It has 20's looks great. I will post pics soon check out opmcustoms.com if i can figure out how to post pics!

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
18's all the way around and love them. I think they look much better than 17's.

·
Registered
993 Posts
i see everyone talking about the look of 17's and 18's. but what about the diameter of the wheel lip to lip? for instance, my wheel vintiques 17 inch rallys are 18 1/2 inches across, so they look bigger than some 18's and some 18's may look smaller than my 17's. just something to think about. ultimately, pics or seeing them in person on the car should be the deciding factor, but not always easy to do...

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hey Jody...

Your front suspension looks outstanding! Can you provide some specs and product information on the subframe and suspension set-up that you are using? I may want to "clone" your set-up.

Thanks,
Brian

·
Gold Lifetime Member
10,548 Posts
Hey Jody...

Your front suspension looks outstanding! Can you provide some specs and product information on the subframe and suspension set-up that you are using? I may want to "clone" your set-up.

Thanks,
Brian
thanks Brian. That was a Wayne Due setup with Vette arms and spindle, but he's no longer in business. There are several other options out there from Morrison, DSE, 21st Century, ATS, and many more that all seem to work well.

Jody

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
I am putting 18's on my 69. I bought Budnik 18x12 for the back and 18x8 for the front. I also have Baer 13" Track brakes. I attached a couple of pictures - not very good since I am still setting up the car. But, one thing I did discover is that I bought the fatlip rim style (basically the rim is turned around backwards) and had them put the value stems in the back of the wheel. But, after I started mocking everything up I figured out that the value stem could interfer with the caliper. :clonk: Luckly for me it did not, but I don't think this combo would have worked in a 17" rim.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
17s or 18s it seems to me that more people are running 17s than 18s, why?? PICTURES OF CARS WITH 17s or 18s WOULD BE MORE HELPFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went with 18's just because everyone has 17's. You said it yourself. Why be like everybody else!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts